Replacement Canvas for Gradys

choogenboom

Reaction score
I recently had to replace some of the side curtains/isinglas/canvas (what do you call that stuff!) on my 2004 330 Express. I got a quote from the local dealer for ~$1000 for the three pieces I needed. I ordered it and the next day got a call from them that they misquoted and it was really $2000. Growing suspicious that they originally quoted me wholesale and thinking a 100% markup was more than they deserved I called GW customer service to find out who their supplier was. I was surprised they told me, but they did. When I asked if I could order canvas direct from their supplier they said "For older boats yes, but for newer boats no." When I asked for more detail on what they meant by "older boat" they had none. So I called the supplier and they said no problem - $150 per piece or $450 total. 10 minutes and a few phone calls saved me $1500.

The supplier is A and J Canvas - here is their contact information

2453 Streets Ferry Rd
Vanceboro, NC , 28586-8350
Phone: 252-244-1509
FAX: 252-244-2508

A and J was great - they even still had the original patterns for my hull number so they could cut exact custom fit replacements. Wow!

What annoys me is that neither the dealer or GW told me I could buy the canvas direct from the supplier until I asked. I guess they both want their 100% markups! So, that's why I am sharing this with you now. Next time you need to replace your canvas, call A and J and cut out GW's and the dealer's 400% mark up.

choogenboom

Reaction score
zippers yes, snaps no.

They come with the needed snaps seperate which must be custom fit at the time of installation. Not hard to do - you'll need hole punch pliers (not sure where you can get these - mine are very old) and the pliers to set the snaps (west marine). Make sure you set them with canvas stretched as tight as you can to allow for some relaxation of the canvas after break in.

Chris

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
choogenboom said:
zippers yes, snaps no.

They come with the needed snaps seperate which must be custom fit at the time of installation. Not hard to do - you'll need hole punch pliers (not sure where you can get these - mine are very old) and the pliers to set the snaps (west marine). Make sure you set them with canvas stretched as tight as you can to allow for some relaxation of the canvas after break in.

Chris

Be sure to check the snaps you get from West Marine to make sure they're stainless - at least if you use your boat in salt water.

Last time I was in there for some they had discontinued them and only had the nickel-plated brass which will go south almost instantaneously.

I coudn't find anyone that had them around here (go figure for southern CA!) so I ordered spares from www.sailrite.com. They have all the sizes, styles, and all stainless, few or as many as you want, really good prices.