Replacement Fuel Tanks

shauncooper

Reaction score
Hi all - as part of my restoration project on my '87 Grady White Offshore Pro 240, I will be replacing both the main and auxilary fuel tanks. After some research I think I would likely go with a poly from the Moeller range. My problem is that I have twin outboards on the boat and most of the Moeller tanks advertised only come with a single fuel pickup.

Can a second pickup be fitted to these tanks and, if not, what have others done in the same situation as me with twin motors to feed fuel to? I have struggled to find much pertinent information on a second pickup and Moeller have not responded to my email queries.

Thanks
Shaun

gw204

Reaction score
If you are dead set on using poly tanks, I would get two identically sized ones and just one run to each motor.

Or you could also install a fuel manifold which would allow both motors to pull from either tank. Bed careful with that though as I seriously doubt a single 3/8" line could feed two motors running at high speed.

shauncooper

Reaction score
Thanks GW, that was my backup plan to get two tanks. Now I must just decide whether its worth getting 4 tanks so that I have auxilary, or just get two large tanks and not bother with having auxilary tanks.

dracer

Reaction score
Shawn i too have a 87 offshore and have been thinking about tackling the fuel tank. My rig only has a single 93g tank but i only have a Single motor....05 f250. How big is your aux tank? Post up some pix of the project.

shauncooper

Reaction score
Hi Dracer - I'm not sure the exact gallons of the existing tank, but judging by the measurements and compared to replacement tanks I am assuming its between 45 and 55 gallons. There is quite a bit of space for play on different dimensions though. I actually inspected my main fuel tank again this weekend and its actually not in such bad shape, it looks to me that it was probably replaced at some stage, but the auxillary was not. I am going to do some further research, but maybe its possible just to replace the auxilary tank and rig some sort of a pump system to the main tank so that if I run low on fuel on the main tank I can simply transfer from the auxilary tank and then I dont need a duel pickup in the second tank... Got the whole of winter to come up with a plan!

I got the last coat of paint on the boat last weekend, so I will definitely start putting an album of the project together.