Replacing a Seastar Helm - Anyone Done it?

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Hi All, happy summer! It looks like I'll need to replace my Seastar helm this summer. I already had new hydraulic hose and rear piston assembly replaced last year. I'm thinking this should be a pretty straight forward replacement but we all know thinking that going into a project is the kiss of death. I'm going to check the hole pattern etc on the existing one to compare to the new. I'm thinking it's the original unit so 1991 vintage. If anyone has ever done this before would love to have a straight forward assessment of what it took and scale of difficulty. Thanks all!

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It is not that bad. Make sure you is which style will work the best. Helm behind the dash or mounted on top. The bleeding is easy if you follow a certain technique. If you decide to tackle this one, I will be happy to post the bleeding procedure for you. If you post some pics, it will help.

seasick

Reaction score
Since he installed new lines on the old helm and assuming qrb fittings on the helm, will he need adapters for the hoses?

southernstyle995

Reaction score
I just replaced my helm and it wasn't that bad, as far as bleeding the lines goes this you tube link is how I did it and it worked great!!

Reactions: Seafarer228_G

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I posted a few pictures that I took this evening. After taking a look please let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_0611.jpg
    IMG_0611.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0612.jpg
    IMG_0612.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0613.jpg
    IMG_0613.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have the same copper tubing in my 88 offshore. I’ve had the new style hoses for a year now and haven’t gotten around to replacing them yet. I need to do that soon myself.

It looks like the new tilt style helm would fit in there nicely. Then you could do away with the spacer and gain some room behind the wheel. Also you will be able to install o ring hoses and remove the copper.

jigstrike

Reaction score
I replaced mine last year. I have the tilt style. It took 2 of us about 2-3 hours to complete.
On a scale of 1-10 (10 being take it to the f*%$ing shop) it was about a 3.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I just did mine and my son and I bled it . It's easy. Just take your time. We bought 3 quarts of hydraulic fluid as I flushed all the old stuff out. It's a good job and bleeding is easier with a helper .

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I use sea star fluid only. Had problems with other brands over time. Eats the seals. I am also doing it for customers. I am responsible for the overall outcome so I always use what I know has the least problems. I can bleed a complete system with 1 quart of fluid once some fluid is added to prefill the system.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Same here I will only use Seastar fluid I used 1.5 bottles to flash when I installed auto pilot. You maybe able to find the exact fluid in some other brand but not worth the hassle to save a few $$.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fellas, Seastar does not make hydraulic fluid. Any hydraulic fluid made domestically that meets military spec 5606 works fine and is compatible with all components of the Seastar system. That's the reason Seastar mentions that spec, because they know the bottles with their name on them is not available everywhere.
20161123_132033 (Medium).jpg

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Greyduk

Reaction score
Fellas, Seastar does not make hydraulic fluid. Any hydraulic fluid made domestically that meets military spec 5606 works fine and is compatible with all components of the Seastar system. That's the reason Seastar mentions that spec, because they know the bottles with their name on them is not available everywhere.
View attachment 13532
Bingo!!

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Great stuff. I've been trying to figure out why it seems so tight between the helm and the seat, there isn't much space when I'm standing which is usually how I drive. I thought it was just me getting larger! :)

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Seastar/Teleflex has a good informative website, will all sorts of available adaptors and fittings. If your helm is leaking there is also a repair kit for it. Simple stuff get some old towels, its a little messy. No surprise on the above post with Aeroshell fluid, Teleflex makes the steering systems for aircraft also.