Replacing bulkhead on 223 1989 Gulfstream

jimlant

Reaction score
Just purchased a Grady White 1989 with a Yamaha 225 2 stroke. Interested in replacing wood bulkhead because it is rotting away. Any help would be appreciated. Just going over the boat and everything is original except the engine.

Thanks,

Jim Lant

seasick

Reaction score
It is not clear to me what part you are referring to.

jimlant

Reaction score
I'm talking about bulkhead that encloses cuddy area. This piece of wood is below steering wheel and has foot support.

Thanks,

Jim Lant

weatherbymag

Reaction score
I just did the port side on my 87 gulf stream. the hardest part was getting the old stuff out in one piece so I could use them as templates.

I went with seaboard, cost a lot less than starboard. I went with the Sea Foam color, it almost matches the grady gel coat.

if you are good with woodworking tooks this should be a no brainer.. just time an patience..

take pictures so you remember how it comes apart and goes back together...

GREYLOCK

Reaction score
I did mine this year on my 87 240 offshore i used 3/4" marine plywood took out the old stuff and used it for my template.i then tried it and made minor adjustments until it fit perfect . i have a friend that does cabinet work he put new formica on it (wilsonart nepal teak) perfect match with the original only a smooth surface not the wood grain texture. i then sealed all the exposed wood with that west system stuff thats mixes in the caulking tube including any holes i had to drill in it basically anything not covered in formica. the hardest part was getting the small bolts thru it where it attaches to the hull .i used silicone where ever there was any chance of water getting behind or under the wood and along the floor instead of the vinyl welting that grady did. over all not a bad project i had originally wanted to use the starboard but did it with the plywood alot cheaper. i figure if the original plywood lasted 24 years i probably wont onw the boat the next time it needs to be replaced!!