Replacing Gulfstream 232 trim tabs

Steve47

Reaction score
My 1991 Gulfstream has 12x9 Bennett trim tabs that seem to be too small for the boat and I'm considering replacing them with larger ones. The boat is a bracket model with twin 150 optimax motors. I would like to use 18x9 plates but there isn't room so I believe that my only alternative is 12x12 plates. I have heard that larger tabs can greatly improve the ride, especially in a head sea, on this boat. My question is has anyone had any experience with changing the tabs on this model, what size tabs used and if it does help the performance. At the moment they don't work but I believe (hope) it's only a simple electrical problem.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Tabman

Reaction score
Steve,

I am pretty sure I answered this question for you over at The Hull Truth, but I want to make sure:

Going to the 12 x 12s would make a great improvement on how the boat runs and it is very easy since you can reuse the same mounting plates and do not have to move the actuator (ram). The results will be the same as installing the 18 x 9s.

As far as the system not working, do you hear the pump run when you try to use them?

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

Steve47

Reaction score
You're right Tabman, same guy. I will be continuing work on them in a few weeks. I am guessing that that system is original from 1991 so I'm considdering a complete replacement. What is the normal life of the pump and lines?

Tabman

Reaction score
Steve47 said:
You're right Tabman, same guy. I will be continuing work on them in a few weeks. I am guessing that that system is original from 1991 so I'm considdering a complete replacement. What is the normal life of the pump and lines?

Steve,

The "average" lifespan of a system is a lot longer than 10 years, so don't buy anything without checking with me first! We can almost always help with part replacements making it a lot easier and less expensive than replacing the complete system. I just sent an O-ring to a guy with a 34 year old system and it is now working perfectly!

Use the troubleshooting I posted at THT and let me know what you find and I will be delighted to help.

Tom
Bennett Marine