Replacing Lights with LED's

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Have a 272 sailfish and was wondering if anyone has replaced their lights with LED's? Is it an easy job and can you use the same housings? Just wondering it it is worth it. It would also be cool (if they are bright enough) to replace the spreader lights with LED's???? Thanks, David

LeapFrog

Reaction score
I replaced my running lights with LEDs from West Marine. They were close to the same profile as the original, but enough difference an extra hole had to be drilled. I got them for less then $100/pair. I haven't swapped it yet, but I also bought the LED all around light from Overton's for $59.
The spreader lights from Chris are EXCELLENT!!! I installed a pair over the weekend. For grins, I replaced them one at a time... Could not believe the difference from my original halogen... bright crisp white light versus the dull yellow from the original... also the significantly less power usage was noticable too... I have a small fan at the helm... could hear the drop in speed when the original spreaders were turned on... not any more...

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have replaced my step lights with leds which are blue and less intense than the standard ones. Better for night vision and a more attractive light as well as using less power.

I'm no electrician but I have read in other forums where it is noted how important the in line fuses are with LED's as they can burst into flames if too much power (ie.surge) is fed into them.

I was talking to an electrician friend last night who has seen these new strip led's which are 12 V . Not designed for marine use but far less expensive than the marine prices.Obviously would need to be careful where used and how. Gradyfish has done a thread on his led deck lights and it is very comprehensive.

ahill

Reaction score
Boatowners Warehouse has LED replacement bulbs for the anchor light.
Less than $6 per pair.
I'll check the bulbs in my courtesy lites in the steps. Hadn't thought of those.
LED's are really dropping in price.
Replaced my cabin dome light bulb with LED off ebay and some cells flicker after being on for 30 mins. Complained to the seller without response.
Re: West Marine I've found their prices high. Rustoleum spray primer and paint at West is $9.99 $3 cheaper at Home Depot. Same with GE silicone caulking

astrajls

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have Chris's coastal flood lights on my boat, replaced the original car type sealed beams. Very bright (at least as bright if not brighter) and white and broad, no hot spots. Way less power used. Just realize the packaging is not massive like the originals, doesn't have to be.
Two of Chris's lights back to back = one orginal in volume.
The same single bolt thru the hardtop is used for mounting Chris's.

For more massive housing, Jim at BOE sells flood lights, and others too, have not tried them though, BOE's are much more expensive that chris's.