Replacing teak trim

Hobie

Reaction score
hello,

I would like to replace the old teak trim on my 228 seafarer. Does anyone know where you can get marine grade plastic trim or coaming pad?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If your in NJ, Lockwood Marine has it, also West Marine sometimes has it as well. I had to get it from both 3 years ago when I redid my 22 seafarer. It was not to bad of a job, but wood needs constant attention. We started using Silken's matte wood finish, it looks great and only needs to be washed down to get salt off, it will last about 2 seasons before needing to be sanded back down and restained. We apply about 3 coats of it. A heck of a lot easier then teak oils and other stuff out there and we always got compliments for how great it looked. [/img]

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
What I did was remove all the teak on the boat and did the teak cleaner thing and let it dry out. Then I used the Silkens matt finish 3 coats then 2 coats of gloss and that was 5 years ago. All the teak under the hardtop looks like I did it yesterday but the exposed teak needs to be touched up in a few spots. Not to shabby if you ask me. :wink:

toolguy73

Reaction score
My 02.

All the conversions that I've seen from teak to starboard look wavy. The starboard just doesn't have the longitudinal strength that teak has, it's really not the right color, and it cheapens the boat IMO. The teak makes all the difference, and adds character.

Last year, I replaced all of the teak trim with new. The teak was under 200.00, and the time investment was around 20 hours, including replacing the two bulkheads. I have some woodworking tools, and my friends had the rest. The job was well worth it.