replacing the powerhead HELP!!!

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
okay ive finally started tearing apart the motor on my boat the swap powerheads and i have ran into a problem, amd am just courious if any of you out their have an idea on how to get it off lol, other than remove the bolts. I have pics to show exactley what ive got goin on.

its started out like this i removed case and everything to reveal the bolts to remove the powerhead to find out most of them were to rusted to even get enough bite on to remove, so i drilled out the bolts. now im in the process of trying to break the gasket between the lower unit and the auctual powerhead. the question im trying to get at here is how do i lift the powerhead off the lower unit, or wedge it off without tearing up the lower unit....

4a022d595f.jpg
[/url][/img]

210930812f.jpg
[/url][/img]

6cb41286e7.jpg
[/url][/img]

adab14f209.jpg
[/url][/img]

HELP!!!!! lol :shock:

wanderer200

Reaction score
I assume you have everything else disconnected? (shift linkage,electrical,etc.) Without a hoist, you will need 2 or 3 guys to lift it off. I usually use a come-a-long off a big tree branch. It could be stuck together. I put some pressure with the come-a-long and rock back and forth. Do not pry between, it will wreck the gasket surface.

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Finesse!

Hey Dorado, it will take some patience and finesse to seperate those two components. For sure make certain everything is disconnected! Let it soak with some good quality penetrating oil. I see you have her in a good place to work. Rig up something to support a come-a-long like wanderer says. I'd try putting a little lifting pressure on the powerhead after it has soaked a bit and jar the head with rubber mallet. The vibration might pop it loose. If you have some mechanical type buddies get them involved. Extra input is always good. 8)

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Re: Finesse!

JUMPNJACK said:
Hey Dorado, it will take some patience and finesse to seperate those two components. For sure make certain everything is disconnected! Let it soak with some good quality penetrating oil. I see you have her in a good place to work. Rig up something to support a come-a-long like wanderer says. I'd try putting a little lifting pressure on the powerhead after it has soaked a bit and jar the head with rubber mallet. The vibration might pop it loose. If you have some mechanical type buddies get them involved. Extra input is always good. 8)

You must've been reading my mind!! :D

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
welll guys i am pretty mechanical myself, but needless to say i did not realize that their are more bolts... lol...last night i took a look at the bottom of the new powerhead i have, and realized the 6 bolts 3 on either side are still in tact. these are the long bolts that come through like i guesss what you would call the mid section lol.

the only problem i am having is getting these old bolts to come loose so i am gonna have to drill out the heads of the bolts n just lift them out with the powerhead.

jack i appreciate it yeah where im doing it as is where we used to keep the trash trucks when my parents ran a trash buisness... so we have a hoist over head. wish they would have never sold that buisness... oh buy the way the plane ride was awsome, i really plan on getting my private soon. it was a little cold but down here in tx at night its been gettin down to the teens... like 19 degrees..very rare!!!!!!

thanks to all!!!!!

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Keep On!

Dorado, keep on pecking away and you'll get her done! Been freaky cold here in NW Florida also with that same 18-19 degrees. Night flights during the winter in the south are awesome, especially on a crystal clear night like last night. Flying and boating have a lot of similarities like weather, navigation and requiring the use of good judgement. 8)

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
indeed they are jack.... well im still just working on it lol, even after drilling out those bolt heads i still struggle to split the two apart... ima take a break from it cause i have a family member willing to pay me 100 bucks to instal a radio in their pontoon boat lol. so i figure that extra hundred will go great in the grady.

after all this maybe it will decide to come apart when i put the chain hoist on it... wish me luck

chris

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Those old rusted bolts take some patience, Have spent allot of time with similliar ones only to result in a snap or drill and extract. I feel your pain.
Just curious , did you remove the lower unit?

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have on the last three I helped with. 2 of em were early 90's johnsons.
The end of the drive shaft is inserted in the bottom of the engines and the shift rod needs to be disconnected from the powerhead. it is a good idea to replace the water impeller too if your gonna put on a new powerhead. No prying, just put lift or hoist on, engine straight up n down and rock it, if it does not pop off use deep creek or wd40 let sit and try again.

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
yeah i appreciate it man i willl look into the impeller sounds wise.....n here in the next few days im gonna be working with the chain hoist. so hopefully everything works out right.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am not sure what year yours is but I remember there being a stud or alignment pin in the front that sometimes gets stuck, it should be stainless steel but I think in older models it is steel or alum and rust corrosion swells it. Tapping on the front center of the ph with a plastic hammer while lifting helped break it loose. dont tap to hard , and dont tap the the mid section casing you dont want to crack that. should order a new stud if it not stainless, the new one will be.
We also removed everything before pulling the head, carbs intake ect.
Pretty much had a bare powerhead and was much easier to pull off.
We also left one on the host with light pressure overnight and came in the next day and it popped off 1/4 in by itself and were able to wiggle it off .
Hope this helps.