Repower 25' dolphin with 175 e-tech

justfine

Reaction score
Opinions on repowering with twin e-tec 175's on a 1992 Grady 25' dolphin. Enough power? Boat currently has 200 hp yamahas on a bracket.

no problem

Reaction score
I repowered my 92 dolphin with 200 Suzukis this year. I Have seen 50mph so far and there's plenty of hole shot. I'm sure the 175 Suzukis would have been adequate. If the etecs weigh the same I would still get the 200s. It's a great time to change out the steering and all those little things that have been put off along the way. I considered Etecs but at the time they were considerably more expensive than the Suzukis. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

justfine

Reaction score
the starboard engine is blown. Oil Fill cap on the rear deck was loose and the boat sat for about 6 weeks. Rain water seeped into the oil tank and the engine blew. Make sure your oil fill caps are tight. Not worth the rebuild.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't use the remote fills anymore, it's harder to fill but less worries.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Get rid of remote oil fills, suicidal for 2 stroke motors.
Water pumps the same as oil, does not mix & entirely separates, water does not lubricate, no alarms, $ 7K repair bill.

End of story.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What's the diff in price for the small block 200 etecs?
Same weight, same block, same rigging costs.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What's the diff in performance between the 200 Etecs and 200 OX66's?

Grabbing a cup of coffee and gettin' comfortable, this ought to be good...

grass is greener

Reaction score
I have a twenty five foot sailfish that i re powered a couple of years ago with etec 175s i looked at the 200 horse and decided not to get them do to price glad i went with the 175 etec the boat is plenty fast great on fuel and no problems and i run that boat out to the canyons from south jersey the Suzuki 4 strokes are much heavier engines

justfine

Reaction score
ThanKs for the replies. The used etecs that i was hoping to purchase were sold to someone who had previously had an oral agreeement to buy from the seller. He was to sell them to me only if the deal fell through. It did not, so I,m back to square one.

Does your 25' sailfish have a Grady drive bracket of a euro transom? Any problems with the boat planing? So, it sounds like you would recommend going with the 175's

Thanks!

justfine

Reaction score
What size props do you have on the etec 175's on the sailfish?
3 blade props or 4 blade props?

grass is greener

Reaction score
The boat does not have a bracket the props are three blade when i was looking at repower motors every dealer said to go with the 200s very happy i did not go with the 200 there was no need for the extra horsepower the boat has plenty of speed the boat planes and rides well the boat has made plenty of trips in rough seas with no problem When buy my next boat it will be powered by etecs again .

Jax25Dolphin

Reaction score
Just Fine,

I have the same exact hull and set up as you and am considering a re-power as well. I have heard that the Suzuki 175 4 strokes are a good way to go also. Since they're an inline 4 they are as light as the 200HP Yamaha 2 strokes, and what I have read, make plenty of power. What i haven't been able to ascertain is what kind of mileage people are seeing and at what cruise speed. Like you, I have long runs out to the ledge from North Florida and the average round trip for me is 200 miles. Increasing fuel economy could make for a big savings.

Grass Is Greener,

Could you share with us what MPG you are getting with the 175 E-Tec's and at what cruise speed please?

Thanks