Repower of 22' Seafarer

peanut1485

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here and had a question.....I just got a 1984 22' Seafarer with a Mercruiser 898.....I believe the motor is seized (rusted and dipstick is rusted off 6 inches down) and there is a hole in the side of the sterndrive (lower) too...I am looking to repower and am curious if i got a long block should i go to a 350 or stay with the 305 to make my life easier....I am looking for any and all help on the motor and sterndrive (online store, aftermarket, etc.)....Thank you for your time and I appreciate any help !!!!

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I cant speak directly to mercruiser but re 305 vs 350: its no contest..go with the 350..They are the same dimensions on the outside , so the 350 should bolt right in and some stuff on your 305 that is still good can probably be bolted on to it. 350 has more torque and used ones are easy to find...make sure you get one with Vortec heads (1987 or later). You can buy drives from SEI. There may or may not be issues as far as bolting everything up and I cant really help you with that but here is a good site to ask that kind of stuff as some of these guys are really knowledgeable about i/o swaps. Hope im not violating any rules.

http://www.boatered.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3

jeffump18

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 1985 227 had a 6 cylinder new & had a 350 put in in the early 90's by previous owner. the 350 runs great & gives me plenty of power when needed. There are plenty of replacement parts available on craigslist.com. I would go with the 350. Although heavier, I haven't noticed any problem with the boat in that regard. Good luck.