REPOWER QUESTION FOR AN OFFSHORE 24

mike175

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering what HP outboards those of you with 22 to 25 foot Grady's were running and what you thought of them. I'm close to losing my twins and I want to go to a single. Is 225 big enough for a 24 offshore Pro? I want a 250 or 275 but money being what it is. I'm partial to John/Rude and wanted to get any practical advice you all might have to offer. I'm not looking at brand new..but well cared for used.

Thanks
Mike175

gilpri

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Mike175

I had a 92 24ft explorer - similar to your Offshore. It had a carburated 200HP Yamaha that I replaced with a 200 Yamaha HPDI

I was perfectly happy with the horsepower - even with 4-5 guys on board with a full load of fishing equipment.

I don't think you would have any regrets with 225 HP. If you check with Grady you'll probably be able to get performance figures with the engine you want. Here's what I had on this
1.jpg

gw204

Reaction score
You really can't go wrong with any of the current 225s as long as they say Mercury on the side. :D

My first choice would be a 225 Opti. My buddy has one on his 25' Maycraft and that motor is crazy efficient, but it's a bit on the loud side.

If low purchase price is a concern, get a leftover Merc. 225 EFI. Those dyno at 247 HP... :shock:

Mariner

Reaction score
I also have the 24' Offshore. It came with a Johnson 225 and it was a thirsty beast. I would average 1 mile per gallon and 14-16 gallons per hour at a cruise. Wide open throttle would make me cringe.....and that was when gas was under 2.00 a gallon. I repowered with the Verado 250. I average 2.5 miles per gallon and 9-10 gallons at a cruise. It completely changed how I felt about my boat. The 25 extra horse plus new technology made it a new boat.

mike175

Reaction score
Thanks guys...I'm feeling better about a single 225. I still would love to hear any other thoughts or concerns.

Thanks,
mike175

Mariner

Reaction score
What were you running for horsepower with twins? You might have an issue with the bracket going from twins to a single also......just guessing.
I hear good things about the new E-Tec motors from Evinrude, since you prefer that brand.

SlimJim

Reaction score
I had a 1990 242 Offshore that had been repowered with a Yamaha F225 4 stroke, It ran great and I loved it. It did bring the scuppers down a little in the water, but I never had water come thru them on the deck. Top speed I got was 26knots, the boat ran real nice at 22knots. No speed demon but I never run real WOT anyway. With a 250 she will fly, I would be careful with the weight on the bracket as well as the scuppers.

striped bass

Reaction score
Repower

Mike175:
Given your boat weight I would go with a Yamaha 250 4s. You will be much happier with performance and gas consumption. Best approach is to demo a similar boat with a Yamaha 250 before you make a decision. I would not go less than 250. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It all depends on if speed is an issue for you. A 200 or 225 will not be a speed demon by any means but will be efficient and not have a problem pushing that boat. A 150 might be pushing the weight envelope for what that boat can handle, but it can be done. As others have said, the scuppers may be in the water with a 250, but with most engines out there today, they will weigh more then what you have and may also put your scuppers slightly in the water. Depending on what your usage is, it comes down to what you are comfortable with. If you fish near shore it wouldn't be a huge issue, if you run offshore it is a little more of a concern. Regardless, make sure you have the transom checked before you repower, some Grady's around that age have had wet transoms and need to be recored and redone. When re powering a boat, it is the most economical and convenient time to do this type of work. You don;t want to spend a good chunk of change repowering and then two or three years later have transom issues that could have been taken care of earlier. If it was my boat and I went to a 250HP engine, I would consider moving the scuppers up, but it all depends on what you are comfortable with. Let us know what you decide to go with and show us some fuel numbers after you do!!

Afishinado

Reaction score
mike175 said:
I'm partial to John/Rude and wanted to get any practical advice you all might have to offer. I'm not looking at brand new..but well cared for used.

IMHO, nothing to look at but a 250 Yamaha OX-66, plenty of used ones around, can't go wrong... My old 22 had a 200 Evinrude, then a 225 Yam and finally the 250.... The 250 made a real difference in it, would be great on a Offshore..

mike175

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the replies. I'm looking right now, so I'll let you know what I get and how it works out.

Mike175