Repower Question

Bigfishin82

Reaction score
I would like to see who can give me some input on this subject. Here goes , I have a 1988 Grady white 259 gt trophy pro and I have the enclosed transom and am trying to repower and am looking for help with my dillema. I want to know if I can put a single 250 four stroke on or will that not be enough power ? I have twin 150 yamaha outbnoards now but it is time for new . So will a single 250 four stroke be good if i change the bracket or should I go with twins. Kepp in mind I will be doing all the labor over the winter.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
300 Suzie or bust!

F300/350 too expensive.

New bracket is required for single motor.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
BigFishin: Looking at the 1988 catalog, your boat outweighs mine by 500 lbs and adds a foot to the beam. I'd say a single F250 is not enough. If you're only boating on calm, inland water and don't mind running the motor at a 5,000 rpm cruise speed (just guessing here) then you might get by. But if you're going offshore of if you add some people & gear, I think you would be dissappointed.

For comparison, I cruise 27 mph at 4,000 rpm with a top end of 42 mph at 6,000 rpm. With a longer, wider and heavier boat, I don't think you would come very close to these numbers.

Rob

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think that you will miss the extra 50 horses that you have now, and more importantly , the close quarter handling of the twins vs a single outboard on a bracket. Seems like lose, lose to me.

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would stay with 2 motors. Don't go down in horsepower, you will end up being unhappy. If I were to re-power, I would look at 175hp. E-tecs for my boat, it's rated for 350hp. and the E-tecs are lighter than my 150 Yamahas, any 4 stroke motors would sink my transom lower than it already is! Joe.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
YankeeC, the F150 and Suzie 175 inline 4 cylinder 4 strokes are not bad in weight, have you compared ?

The single Inline head saves weight vs. two heads on V6s and added valve gear/double cam shafts, etc.

High C's

Reaction score
I suggest an Etec 300 or you may be OK with a 250 due to etec retains that good ole 2 stroke torque while still giving you a quiet and fuel efficient ride. I have the 250 on my gulfstream and it does a great job. :jaw :roll: