repower surprise

LarryO

Reaction score
Recently repowered from an old 200 Johnson to a 150 Yami 4 stroke on my 89 20 ft WA. Always had a rough ride, blamed it on the old hull. I am blown away with how this rides now. I guess I was overpowered or whatever. Granted it's no deep V. Was not expecting this at all. A pleasant surprise to say the least since I was planning to upgrade to a Sea v hull someday. GPH went from 13 to 5.5 @ 3500 rpm's. Wanted to pass this along.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Glad to hear that your repower went so well, and you are so pleased with the results.

We repowered from a single 250HP OX66 after 465 hours, and now have over 500 hours on the twin F150s. They are fantastic engines, and it is a different boat now.

Brian

otterbanx

Reaction score
I repowered from 1988 225 Evinrude to New F225. Dont know the numbers yet but I can tell you it seems to have made a BIG difference.

Break out 20's instead of 100's at the gas pump.
Less noise underway and docked.
No more 2 Stroke smoke... though I like the smell of a running 2S.
Better performance... picked up ~2 MPH top end.

R Ballou

Reaction score
Website
Weatherhead.CWRU.edu
Repower

Larry,

I too repowered my 1999 208 Adventure from an Optimax 200 2-stroke to a Verado 150 4-stroke. You might think that there would be many negatives to doing this. First, the engine weights are essentially the same, so weight was not an issue.

Second, there is no problem with getting the boat on plane although the Optimax was very powerful and would throw passengers to the back of the boat if I was not careful with the throttle. Now with less power, getting on plane is smoother and certainly much quieter. The tone of the engine sound is more pleasing as well.

Third, going from a 6 cylinder 2-stroke to a 4 cylinder 4-stroke, I notice some vibration in the 800-1000 rpm range. I am told this is characteristic of 4 cylinder vs. 6 cylinder engines. I've noticed it in cars as well. After 2 years with the engine, I don't pay much attention to it.

Fourth, the boat is a little slower at WOT (42 vs. 38 mph) and at cruise (25-27 vs. 22-24 mph). The best fuel economy (at cruise) is in the 3.8 to 4.0 mpg range.

Overall, the performance of the engine is much smoother (throttle is less sensitive) perhaps because of a better balance between the horsepower, torque, and boat weight. If you are not a "cowboy", you should be pleased with the engine.

Flying Fish

Reaction score
Larry: I have a the same boat, even the same year, and I recently repowered from a 150 carbed Yamaha to a 150 HPDI. The ride is exactly the same, but the boat is a bit faster and the motor is quieter, doesn't smoke, and doesn't drink like the old one (from 2.5 nmpg to 3.2nmpg). By the way, I test rode a CV hull and while it was a bit nicer than mine, I didn't think it was nearly enough difference to trade based only on that difference. It's still a 20-ft boat!

Glad you like your new motor. I've never felt that hull needed any more than 150HP. By the way, that Johnnyrude 200 was a sweet-running motor but it sure did have a smoking and a drinking problem. But going from 13 to 5.5 gph is pretty amazing, especially if you're running at roughly the same speed through the water. (My HPDI uses a little more than 6 gph at 3500 and about 23 knots.)

FF

LarryO

Reaction score
Thanks FF. Good knowledge on the Sea V . I have come to the conclusion that 200 hp is too much for our boat. It's been my experience that lenght is less of a factor than we think as far as a rough ride in short chop . Been on 40 - 50 ft headboats, didn't make for a better day . Did you go to the HPDI 2 stroke for fuel economy ? Hard to make up $10,000 of gas. Stay safe .

Flying Fish

Reaction score
Larry: After 17 years and about 1600 hours, I figured my old motor didn't owe me anything at all, and that it was time to repower. I'd just done a couple repairs that were moderately expensive (on the order of $600) and figured there'd be more, maybe much more expensive, and the motor itself wasn't worth more than $1,000 at most. It turned out my dealer had a leftover but brand-new 2004 HPDI that was about $10,000 installed, and so I went for it. (A 150 Yamaha 4-stroke was going to be about $13,000 and an Etec was quoted at $14,000.) You're right, the improved efficiency isn't going to pay for the repower.

FF