Repowering 2004 Marlin

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
This is not exactly apples to apples but this is my experience. On my previous boat(265) I had twin F225's. On my current boat I have twin f300's with the digital controls. I will not get into performance because they are different boats. The newer digitals engines are much smoother shifting in and out of gears. This is especially evident while docking. Initially I found my self checking the display to see if the engine(s) was in gear or not when backing into the slip. I now have all my information on 1 display rather then 4 different gauges. The newer engines will easily and automatically sync with one another too. There are probably other improvements too that I'm missing. All in all I like all the new features. In most repower cases it probably boils down to price, and that is your decision to make. But also keep in mind that all of your rigging is 15 years old too. if your going to replace everything and start from scratch now is the time.

Reactions: Mindskew

Absolutely Nothing

Reaction score
Thanks dr, good point on the rigging. I recently had to replace one ignition switch. I am leaning toward the digital system.

Mindskew

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I spent way too much time looking at what the Suzuki uses for rigging last night. Coincidentally I just added another backbone cable to my N2K network, completing the replacement of all electronics network except the Yamaha bus. It looks like I am already most of the way there. While I am at it, I’ll probably refresh my fuel lines as well. 15 years of ethanol cannot have done them any favors.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I priced out a new digital F250 with new, oldschool round gauges, new control box and key switch and rigging for a tad over $23K. I should have some trade/sell outright equity in my F225 with all control's and gauges, all service is done along with the exhaust. I'm only a single and didn't see the need for a new dash panel to incorporate the square, single 6yc gauge. If I need to see it, I can hook up through the NMEA network and feed it to my DF. I don't really have to change my current round gauges as they will work, but I wanted my hours to reflect 0 hrs when I start out with my new motor.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Agree it all comes down to money. Not sure the benefits justify the cost but that is a personal decision. Good luck.

Mindskew

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
... look at Suzuki 300's... i re-powered my 97 marlin last year with them... the digital 300 zukes were very close to the same price as 250 mechanical Yammies... even with all new rigging... and the digital system is great... throttles can be touchy... but they are exponentially smoother than the mechanical ones... i can give you any info you'd need if you have any questions...
Hi, what props did you use for those engines?

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
How much do you want for the motor that isn't corroded through to the oil pan ?

Absolutely Nothing

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I ended up going with the Yamaha 250 HP digitals. Was able to get the extra two year warranty offer for a total of five years.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Mindskew

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
19D716FA-7EDC-481D-94C5-79CAA03E7CD2.jpeg
Hey folks, check out the bolt that was holding my old outboard yo the transom. The new Suzuki 300’s show up tomorrow. New controls went in this past weekend.

34D80444-D305-4694-A7BA-EB72BF2AC885.jpeg

Mindskew

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The new Suzuki 300’s are fantastic! I was out today doing adjustments on the toe-in and was looking at what I was getting for speed, rpm’s and fuel burn. At 3500 rpm, I was traveling 25.6 knots at 1.63 gph. Engines are quieter and get up on plane so much faster. Thanks for the recommendation!

Bob Meola

Reaction score
How many hours were on your motors. I have twin 225's also did exhaust about 3 years ago, just found out Starboard engine has hole in block . Weld will not do the trick. Getting new power head. Other engine is fine. Engines have 1600 hours on them besides exhausts this the only other major problem I had.

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The new Suzuki 300’s are fantastic! I was out today doing adjustments on the toe-in and was looking at what I was getting for speed, rpm’s and fuel burn. At 3500 rpm, I was traveling 25.6 knots at 1.63 gph. Engines are quieter and get up on plane so much faster. Thanks for the recommendation!
Do you know much toe-in did you end up setting?