Resolved - Newbie Questions on a 282 Sailfish

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
These seem like simple questions regarding a 2007 282 that I should have figured out myself. But I haven't. So before I start replacing parts, I'll tap some experience here- and hope to not wear out my welcome!

Freshwater Pump: Pump spins and gets very hot if I let run too long. But no movement of water. Water tank was empty when purchased. Now filled and I cleaned strainer immediately in from of pump (located beneath aft berth). Question: Is there some other valve that needs to be opened to allow water to flow from transom water tank to pump? Or do I just replace the 4.0 gpm pump?

12v Outlets Beside Helm and Passenger Seat and Near Microwave: None work. Just coincidence? I checked every fuse in the fuse block located behind and beneath steering wheel. Is there some 'master' fuse for these things that is laughing at me?

Hidden Fuse Block? The 12-fuse block under the helm doesn't seem to be near enough for all the systems on the boat. Even the the wiring diagram in the owner's manual shows the 12v outlets going to various other places. But other than the radio box, I haven't found another fuse box. Anyone know if I'm missing some fuses?

Many thanks in advance. I hope to not wear out my welcome. I have event gotten to the complicated things like the head!

Tx, Rob

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi Rob, I have a 2004 Sailfish but they should be similar set ups.

Freshwater - there is no valve on my mine for water to flow - when the pump is turned on the water flow directly to the hot water tank and the cold water outlets. Before replacing the pump I would disconnect the inflow hose and try sticking it in a bucket of water and disconnect the outflow to see if the pump is moving water. Could be a bad pump a kinked hose etc.

There are only two fuse blocks on my boat, the one under the helm and the one in the upper electronic box. I have never had to replace the 12 volt fuse so I can't help you there. Probably going to have to trace the wire back from the helm and check the ground and power. Grady Customer Service can be very helpful with these questions if you don't figure it out. Good luck and enjoy the boat!

seasick

Reaction score
Is it possible that the 12v outlets are wired through a switched breaker on the dash panel or through a switch on the DC panel? Try turning on all, one at a time to see if the outlets gets power

Lsquared

Reaction score
The outlets are wired to a breaker by the head over the rear berth.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Legend: Good idea. I’ll do that with a bucket and short hose.
Seasick: Good idea and I did that. (Interestingly, although autopilot powers up with MFD main unit, it’s fluxgate compass is powered by an unlabeled accessory switch.)
Lsquared: Thanks! Can’t wait to get back to boat because I can't place what you describe. But I’m sure you’re correct and it’s there.

Thank you for making this a great owners forum.

Rob

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Fyi regarding you freshwater pump. You said it "spins"(did you mean you hear it running)? If yes then do as stated and test it out and see if it's moving water. This pump which only runs if the faucets are open, once back pressure (a closed faucet) is applied the pump automatically shuts down until the pressure(open faucet) is relieved If it is moving water when tested that means that you have either one of two things going on here.1-A leak in the line after the pump that you can't see which would cause the pump to constantly run with or without the faucets open. Or 2- a pinched hose prior to the pump which is starving the pump for water and is causing it to run until it primes up(which it can't do because of the pinched hose.)

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The outlets are wired to a breaker by the head over the rear berth.
Trying to envision this - is the breaker an actual switch, is it located in the head compartment or is it in th rear berth area?

Lsquared

Reaction score
should be a breaker panel outside the head and over the rear berth area. walk down the companion way and turn around should be on your left.

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 30

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
should be a breaker panel outside the head and over the rear berth area. walk down the companion way and turn around should be on your left.
Got it, I think we may be talking about different outlets. The breakers you described are for the 120 Volt shore power outlets. I think Wahoo is asking about the 12 volt outlets that are used to charge phones and small electronics

Lsquared

Reaction score
ahh i see that now, sorry for the confusion.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for everyone’s help. Issues solved.

All 12v outlets actually work - duh. So I asked my wife what she was trying to run. An inverter! I surmise that if you put too much demand on them they simply don’t work. Nothing appears to be tripped.

Freshwater pump is bad. Bucket idea was good. Using disconnected inlet tube, I hand pumped water from tank quite easily. Reconnected inlet tube and disconnected outlet tube and switched on. Nothing but a hot upper portion of pump.

Convinced there are only the two (helm and radio box) fuse blocks.

Thanks, Rob

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks. You have already been a big help over the years. And it is appreciated. And I'm sure I will have more questions along the way.

Tx, Rob

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks. You have already been a big help over the years. And it is appreciated. And I'm sure I will have more questions along the way.

Tx, Rob

Thanks for the nice comment.

I have an empty 13.5K lift behind the house, if you want to visit the left coast. :) :) :)

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ocnslr: My Loop journey officially ends at Tampa Bay. So you're just a nice boat ride past my home town of Venice south of there. I figure another three, maybe four, boat trips, and I might be passing your way.

Rob

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Ocnslr: My Loop journey officially ends at Tampa Bay. So you're just a nice boat ride past my home town of Venice south of there. I figure another three, maybe four, boat trips, and I might be passing your way.
Rob

In that case, I will expect to hear from you.

Mindskew

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This might be a silly question but is your boat connected to shore power? Unless you have an inverter on your boat, those 110v plugs don't work when not connected to shore power. On the water pump, are you sure you are using the fresh water pump and not the raw water pump? If the raw water, there is a through hull in front of the batteries right next to the through hull for the bait tank.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mindskew: Thanks for your help. I should have re-worded the title to say "issue resolved". A few posts up I described what had happened. All the 110 outlets worked fine for me. Turns out, my wife was trying to run something fairly large off of an inverter. So I presume that, when you put too much demand on the outlet, it just doesn't work.

The freshwater pump was bad. replaced it and all is good.

Tx, Rob

Mindskew

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Congrats and welcome to the club!