Restoring my newly acquired 1985 240

FreeG-W

Reaction score
The story:
I was operating at a surgical center (I'm a resident ortho surgeon) and the CRNA in the room offered me a free boat. I went and looked at it the next day and it turned out to be a 1985 Grady-White Offshore 240 complete with a 275 hp Evinrude outboard and trailer with working surge brakes. Needless to say I took them up on it...but the boat was neglected. It needs a new floor in the least and probably some deep hull work. I am moving back to MN after residency and this would be a great boat for Superior and Michigan fishing.

The questions:
Has anyone had to completely gut and restore a Grady-White or had it professionally done? Anyone made permanent mods to the boat (ie glassing in the open transom?) How much did it cost and was it worth it? If it was worth it, does anyone know a good and reasonable shop to do it?

gw204

Reaction score
Glassing in an open transom and installing an ouboard bracket will run you at least $5000 to have it done properly. But the cost is highly dependent on the level of finishing, the type and composition of the bracket and the condition of the current transom. But being the boat is a neglected'85, expect the worst.

Talk to Rob over at Raybo Marine. He's done a few Grady and a lot of Makos and can steer you in the right direction...or get the job done for you.

http://www.raybomarine.com/

Another excellent resource is www.classicmako.com. Guys over there are always tearing boats apart and rebuilding them.

Danmac

Reaction score
metan marine

Metane Marine is around the corner from me . Ive seen there seacraft restorations which look showroom new. However a bit of a distance from buffalo to Mass.

FreeG-W

Reaction score
Thanks so far. I will have to wait to restore this boat...I have no time, no money and need to focus on other things. I appreciate the recommendations though. Has anyone heard of Shipwreck Boatworks in Princeton, MN? It's closer to where I will end up?

Thanks

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My recommendation is spend a few dollars and have the boat surveyed by a professional surveyor. One hours time should run you maybe $75-150 depending on location and their rate. You know the boat has problems, but they will tell you what is wrong with it. They can bring a moisture meter to see what parts of the hull need work and where water damage may be, hopefully giving you less work. Hopefully the transom and floor are the only issues to worry about. To replace your current transom, you are looking at maybe $2500 by a professional and about $5500 for a full transom and bracket. The floor will run you about $500 a panel roughly but being that you may need it all done it will likely be about $1500 for the whole floor. My recommendation once you do have the cash to invest, do some work yourself even if your not a do it your selfer. Remove the engine yourself. Unhook all the wires and label them well, on both ends. Pay someone with an engine hoist to pull off the engine and store it yourself. This will save you atleast $500, maybe more because you will be charged by the hour to have the engine taken off and rigged back up and this is something anyone can really do. As for the floor, if it is just the floor panels themself, you can get advice on here how to redo them and I'd do them myself as a project. Find someone you may know who may have worked with fiberglass to help or show you, there are many who are capable and I'm sure willing to help. If I was closer I would. You will only pay for material them instead of labor and such saving you a good amount, maybe $1000 on the floor. Have the engine compression checked at some point so you know you have a stable safe engine. The cylinders should test within 10% of each other, not greater and within 10% of their rated compression. Anything outside this range is a sure sign of a bad engine and needed work. For the price you got this boat for, even if the boat does need some or all of this work it can be a great deal if your willing to put the time, money and effort into it. I hope you enjoy it and make it a fun project and restore it back to prestine condition.