Results of Central Valley Marine Grady owners Tournament

alibi 2

Reaction score
June 16th Central Valley Marine in Campbell, CA sponsers a Grady Owners fishing tournament for salmon. This event is held out of the Santa Cruz, CA harbor and is a "boat load" of fun for everyone.

After fishing a great BBQ is held on the deck behind MTM Charters at the weigh in scales. We competed last year. The fishing was lousey and we didnt catch anything to weigh but we ate a lot of tri-tip and other goodies and had a royal blast! The Picknik tables overlook the boat launch so this in it self is fun!

If you live locally be sure to sign up at Central Valley for this fun event. There is reserved parking for Owners and their boats at the harbor on Friday night. We look forward to meeting lots of new friends again this year..

TooLittleTime

Reaction score
Just saw your post on the Salmon derby wish I would have known about it. There are probably alot of Grady owners that would have fished it if it didn't conflict with Coastside Fishing Clubs derby, which was moved ahead a week due to the weather forcast.
Also I was just wandering if you ever have a booth at any of the shows I am normally at all the shows manning the CSBA booth, I would like to stop by and look at your rods.

alibi 2

Reaction score
The Grady tournament is a blast!...Grady White always sends rep to the event from N. Carolina who loves to hear from Grady owners about, not only their love of their boats but how they would change them to make them better. We fished even though CSF cancelled do to weather, but then Grady's can "handle" it....I will post some pic's as soon as I download..

All my rods are custom made for individual customers..but I get lots of request to "see" the rods from folks(like yourself)...Then when Leo bought the old Shamrock Charters at the docks in Santa Cruz..he say one of my rods and asked if I would make a few to sell in his store...I agreed,. and his shop is the only place available to see the rods..(there are 3 pink rods, 3 rockfish rods and 3 10wt saltwater fly rods there now and one top of the line IGFA 130# big game rod there right now)...

I did make a "grady white" rod for Central Valley Marine that they donated to United Anglers...they asked if I could do a series of "grady" saltwater rods to display in their store..I will eventually do this but so far this year I have been extremely busy...Grady White was very helpful when I was building the "grady" rod to provided me with a JPG of the logo to put on the rod...I'll post the pics, here....

img_0210_edited2resize.jpg

gradyrod2resize.jpg

gradyrod142resize.jpg

alibi 2

Reaction score
Finally got the time to post the results of our gathering,,sorry it was late.

The weather was good in the morning but the wind kicked up early, no problem for the gradys!...Most fished till the final hour of weigh in at 3pm.

The BBQ was lit at 12pm and food was still going strong. There was 3 kinds of sausage, chicken, and hamburgers, along with potatoe salad, beer and wine. Everyone was having a great time exchanging stories and laughs.

The salmon were biting but the locations were spotty and hard to find. It required work to locate them. We were lucky enough to hook up while putting our downriggers back to depth. Our son Kyle successfully brought the fish to the boat and Dave made the net. Then Bev bonked it on the head, while I drove the boat so it really was a group effort. Our fish placed up 5th in the derby, not high enough to get the money but high enough to save our honor!

Once again the derby was full of fun and excitement. It was a success and everyone enjoyed it. We even so a old friend, Larry Wolf, of the Monterey Salmon Trout Project, fishing the derby in his new 23' Grady he bought recently at Central Valley Marine.

img_0014_edited2resize.jpg

IMG_0016_edited2resize.jpg