Ring Free AND a fuel stabilizer?

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looking for some opinions regarding fuel additives. Do I need to use anything other than ring free? If so what? As far as I know ring free does not have any stabilization properties.

Thanks

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've used Ring Free and PRI-G for years. It seems to work...no problems with water or gunk in the fuel.

PRI-G is similar to Sta-Bil, but a bottle goes further as its more highly concentrated. You can find it at Boaters World.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I run ring free as recommended by Yamaha, and I use their recommended dosages. I also mix in star-tron every few fill ups(maybe every 150-200gal+), I usually do not fill my tanks unless I'm running offshore to the canyon. I usually put close to the amount star-tron recommends, but I am a little on the conservative side and usually go a little less. I had done this on my 22' Grady since repowered in 2000 with a 200 HPDI, and have had no problems. I also do this on my 265 Express with F225's. It is a cheap insurance policy IMHO, I know some guys who ignore to do so and have had some engine problems, not sure if not using the products was the cause, but knowing what the problems were I know it sure did not help the situation. I also do basic maintenance more often then the engine manufacturer recommends. I change my spark plugs every 100 hours, and/or at the beginning of each season after my first few trips. I swear plugs never work the same after you run the fogging fluid through them, I try to burn as much off as I can then put new plugs in. When the boat is stored for the winter, I put a dosage of Star-tron, I also add a bit of Sta-Bil in to stabilize the fuel, Star-tron does so many things that I feel it will not stabilize the fuel well enough on its own for a winter layup.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I use PRI-G (a stabilizer) + Ring Free (a non-stabilizer) ALL the time.

During tuna season when I burn alot of gas fast, I skip the PRI-G since the fuel won't be in my tank for long (less than 2-4 weeks).

I agree 100% with the above comments - cheap insurance to use both religiously.