Rubber strips under decking?????

SieraSky

Reaction score
Pulled up both decks on my 228G w/twin tanks to replace fuel lines w/alcohol resistant lines, noticed the rubber strips on rear and sides of deck flange. The only purpose I can see is for vibration and eliminate any squeek. Remove them, keep them ?? Any opinions? :?:

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I put them back in as I don't think the deck panels would be level without them. Probably prevents chafing also. (panel against panel)

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
They are also used to create a bit of a rise in the middle of the span across the beam to keep water from pooling, and to avoid an overapplication of sealant to get between cover and bottom of flange making it near impossible to pull off.

My cover edge extends a bit more out than where the wood begins, the rubber creates a contact surface wider than just the lip edge.

bhemi

Reaction score
Where do you get it?

I pulled up my deck plates and some of the rubber strips are missing. Where does one buy that stuff? I think when the deck is screwed down well the rubber acts like a gasket and adds to the seal. The silicon fills in the gap and adds more sealing.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The neoprene 1/8 thick strips were not continuous on my model, they were pieced out, and they were not caulked down fully, just a squirt to keep them in place. Seam and holes MUST BE SEALED PROPERLY.

So don't have to go full depth on seam, half/3/4 depth is OK, and add 100 lb test mono under so you can pull up and cut the seam.

No need to "bed" any covers, that I can think of.

SieraSky

Reaction score
Rubber strips

Mine were not continuous either, I,m going to look in my Granger catalog and find something close in dimension and use full lenght strips. I could see them used as a sealant for the deck. I used 80lb test mono on my CC deck plate and worked fine when I pulled it up. For you info, the deck knockout O-rings, the Granger part# is IkLW4, $6.27 for 5, alot less than I found on-line @ $3.95 ea.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
By the way, you can cut the seam with a knife, the mono helps though.

And, there is no way the neoprene strips protect any wood below from water penetration, not the way Grady is using the strips.