Rule 56S Automatic 4000 Gph Bilge Pump

miamiGrady

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Does anyone have experience with the Rule 56S Automatic 4000 Gph Bilge Pump? or the Rule 56D Non-Automatic 4000 GPH Marine Bilge Pump? I have a 2000 Marlin 300 and am thinking about replacing the current Rule pumps.

Thanks,
Chris

seasick

Reaction score
In all likelihood your thru hull will be undersized and will restrict flow. ((in other words, you may not get the discharge rate increase you wanted) I can't comment about the wiring comment since I don't know what wire gauge and run length you have now. but it is more likely that your wiring will be inadequate. The 4000 model draws more than twice the current that the 1500 draws
Finally, I just don't like automatic pumps. For extra redundancy, you might want to consider two smaller pumps, one with the float switch mounted higher than the first. You can use the same discharge plumbing and a single thru hull if you add a fitting like the Sea Sense dual bilge Y valve

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd look for a pump that you can plug and play with from the electrical and plumbing perspectives. Why bother having to change hoses and wiring for more GPH. Really not necessary if you ask me.

seasick

Reaction score
I'd look for a pump that you can plug and play with from the electrical and plumbing perspectives. Why bother having to change hoses and wiring for more GPH. Really not necessary if you ask me.
I agree. In addition, if the thought here is to deal with a breaching of the hull, no normal pump would be able to handle the water flow from a 3/4 inch or more hole in the hull below the water line. If you look up the flow rates for hull penetrations, you will be amazed at the volume just a few inches below the water line

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
True. Unless you have a dedicated de-watering pump, and even then, you are much better off making sure you have the things on board to help you plug a breach, and be prepared to go in the water to do it, if necessary.

Fishtales

Reaction score
A couple tubs of Stay Afloat should do the trick.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Stay afloat seems to work pretty well in the videos, for cracks, leaks, and small tubing, But I don’t think it would do anything for a fist sized hole, if you hit a submerged object like a tree, or shipping container.
Seasick mentioned flow rates. In the Navy, every sailor is a fireman, and one of the first things that happens after boot camp is firefighting school, and damage control school. When they shut you in a compartment, turn off the lights, and turn on the water, you learn about flow rates in a hurry.
For most people who hit something in the water, the first reaction is to stop the boat, go forward, and try to assess the damage. A better approach might be to keep the boat moving at a speed which allows you to run at a maximum bow high attitude, and do as much damage assessment as you can while still moving. If you’re holed, you might have to run that way, or even in a tight circle until help arrives, if sea conditions permit. Or, you have to be able to plug the hole, and stop the water in a hurry.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
I guess, but if you get that type of hole no small pump will keep up in my opinion.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That was my point, even the best bilge pumps are only good for leaks, not holes of any size. But, most of us put all our eggs in that one basket, without a plan, or supplies, for anything greater.

Fishtales

Reaction score
agree. stay afloat video below... I think this is worth having aboard.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Very difficult to plug irregular sized penetration for the inside. When we fished commercially and in earlier USCG days, we carried collision mats. Simply heavy canvas or similar material with lines attached that allow you to place the mat over the penetration from the outside of the hull. Allows the water pressure to partially seal the hole and significantly reduce the inflow. Restricts forward speed bu allows a dewatering pump to keep up. May not be practical for smaller boats.