Running GPS antenna wire

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The new GPS antenna cable has connectors on both ends and this will complicate the installation process. Can you route this through the hard top tubing like the old cable without the moulded connectors? I don't think I want to see the cable running down the windshield frame.
Thanks

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I must drill what seems like a huge hole in the tubing (5/8"?) to enter and exit. Wouldn't this weaken the tube?

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I called Garmin and they told me to cut off the connector and purchase an NMEA 2000 micro connector. I grudgingly cut off the end and ran the wires today. Ordered a new connector from West Marine. 5 wires to hook up in the plug.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Cable

I realize you cut the connector off already but a easier way is to cut the cable a foot or two from the connector and carefully splice the wire back together. Solder and shrink wrap. Given the data rates of the GPS antenna it will work fine.

I'm in the computer cable business. These little connectors that they use on the electronics area bear to solder into. Crimping requires special tools.

Well - good luck.

seasick

Reaction score
The antenna cable on my Garmin plotter is coax with a BNC connector. It is not a good idea to cut and splice coax. Are the newer model antenna cables not coax?

catch22

Reaction score
seasick said:
The antenna cable on my Garmin plotter is coax with a BNC connector. It is not a good idea to cut and splice coax. Are the newer model antenna cables not coax?

Some of the Garmins, (i e 4200 series) are nmea 0183. Individual wires, no connectors. Some are nmea 2000.

seasick

Reaction score
catch22 said:
seasick said:

Some of the Garmins, (i e 4200 series) are nmea 0183. Individual wires, no connectors. Some are nmea 2000.

I downloaded a 4200 manual from garmin and see the new cabling method. Quite cool... Mybe you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
GPS Antenna wires

I have seen several different types of GPS antennas on the Garmin units.

I had a older Garmin that did use a coax cable. These are probably the easiest to cut and splice. Use a male and a female connector or just replace the connector at one end.

The antenna on my Garmin 3006C is a GPS17 or GPS17x that is wired into the antenna on one end and has to be connected to the NMEA183 interface of the GPS. Three wires for signal plus power and ground. I use a euro terminal strip (Radio Shack) for the connections.

I just installed a Garmin 4210 over the weekend. That ships with a GPS17x with a NMEA2000 interface. This setup is a lot more involved just to hook the antenna up. Three T-connectors, two terminators, one cable for power and one cable to the GPS17x. I pulled it with the connector on. Not sure of the feeds and speeds of this type of network connection but splicing into a eurostrip would probably be fine. Keep the pairs twisted together right up to the eurostrip on both sides.

I just posted a picture of my new setup and my wiring board.
http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9296

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
When faced with the same dilemma a few weeks ago the solution to my problem was as simple as calling Raymarine's Tech Support department and asking if and by what method the GPS antenna cable may be cut and spliced.............I imagine Garmin would happily supply the same information.

Just be sure when you do make the cut that it is done so at a point in the cable that will not complicate your install. For instance I did mine at a point about 5 feet from the display unit where the wire can be secured in a way that reduces tension on the splice.

After completing the install and putting 20 more hours on the boat offshore I have had no issues with the gps.