Rushed purchase. Did I do OK?

NJ-JOHN

Reaction score
On my way home from selling my 18' Wellcraft I stopped by a friends dealership and tried to pry him down on the price of a 22' seafarer. The boat is a 1990 w/ the same year power(new powerhead). I explained about how I dont care to have a 19 year old 2 stroke, so he offered me this:

I paid $10K for the hull(thinking it was a V2). It has a hardtop and is in good condition(not great). Some electronics.

I financed a new 2008 Honda 225 4 stroke @4.99%. I paid 15.5K rigged and out the door.

My head was spinning from the long drive home after delivering my sold boat and from signing the papers on the new one and I realized it's not the hull I wanted.

Is there a big difference from 1990 to the year the V2 was rolled out? I think I paid about a thousand too much for the hull, but it is clean and in my friends possesion. The leftover price seemed great on the Honda and I really did want a new 4 stroke. Am I in over my head oir did I do good? Thanks,
John

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As far as the SeaV2 hull design goes, I have to honestly say, after owning several pre-SeaV2 model Seafarers, and presently fishing and cruising a 1998 Seafarer model owned by a family member, that I can't tell much difference. If you are running hard into oncoming waves, then there will most likely be a gentler entry into them, but why run hard into oncoming seas. I'm sure that the SeaV2 hulls are an improvement to Gradys' hull design, but I wouldn't say there is a vast difference in performence of the two. I'm not looking to start any arguments here, this is JUST MY OPINION. Obviously, as far as Return On Investment goes, you would be better off with a SeaV2 hull.

Looks like you'll end up with a good hull, as you have said, and a new engine that will most likely give you years of troublefree use, for around 26-27000. You can buy late 90s Seafarer with very low hours for that price, but then again, it would not have a brand new engine with warranty.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NJ, More important than what you paid is that you didn't get the hull (CV2) you wanted and got a new 4 stroke that you say you didn't want. If you'd taken more time, you might have ended up with this same deal but without the second thoughts. A hull survey would have been nice, too.

Depending on where you plan to use the boat, you may not see any difference in having the pre-CV2 hull design. I have an 89 Overnighter and use it in the Chesapeake some and the rivers a lot. Only been in the bay a couple of times when the CV2 hull might have made a noticable difference.

You've got new 4 stroke power for what seems to me to be a good price. Should give you great reliability and fuel economy for many years to come. If you decide to sell it, you've got an older hull with newer 4 stroke power so should be a fairly easy sale tho' you may not get all your money out of it.

Yeah, you may not have gotten what you were really after but I don't think you missed your mark by that much. Stop worrying about it, relax and enjoy your new ride.

Gary 89 Overnighter

Bama96

Reaction score
What is the weight of that Honda? Will it be ok on that older hull? If so you have new reliable power and a nice rig. Enjoy it! I beat myself up for weeks over a few thousand dollars on a purchase. Not worth it. I say never buy a boat based on resale. Why buy it for the next guy? Get what you want and go fishing! Post us some pics. :D

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
NJ-John,

If the dealer took a trade on the original power, then you did infact pay more for that new Honda..

Old hull vs newer hull...??? I have spent years on both the pre and post SV2 in the 228 model. Yes there is a noticable difference but don't sweat it... just use the boat and enjoy it. It will ride much nicer than your old 18' rig.