Safety Equipment

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Lots of discussion here and on other sites as a result of the recent loss of two young men off east coast of Florida. I decided to start this thread.

Although we sold our Islander in January for health reasons, many of you know me from years on this site. My background includes electronics, nuclear power, submarines, BSME degree, surface warfare officer, MSEd degree, all courtesy of the USN in a 28yr career. Oh, and almost 2100 USCG creditable days to sit for Master, Oceans, 1600 tons and Chief Mate, Oceans, Unlimited tonnage. I was also a USN certified offshore sailing skipper and took NROTC yachts out for training with midshipmen. On the personal side, we put tens of thousands of miles on our GW, with 465hrs on the original single and 1600 on the twins.

We bought the boat new in March 2002, with the usual dealer installed Lowrance MFD and a VHF. We fished the lower Chesapeake Bay and cruised the length of the Bay, so my first major upgrade was improved, and additional, ground tackle, and a windlass.

We got the “pelagic bug” in 2004 and started running C-Time offshore in 2005. Fishing ranged from 40nm to 75nm out, in and around the Norfolk Canyon and “overboard” beyond the continental shelf.

Although it developed over the first few years, here is a list of our safety and electronic equipment.
- two fixed VHF radios, to separate antennas, one powered from house bank and other from the engine batteries.
- two separate installed MFDs, each with built-in GPS
- HS60 GPS receiver and heading sensor
- Sirius XM weather
- Simrad 3G radar
- Garmin handheld GPS, kept in Ditch Bag
- two handheld VHF, one with DSC at helm and other in Ditch Bag
- Cat II EPIRB, in Ditch Bag
- All usual flares, in date, vacuum bagged in Ditch Bag
- one set of expired flares, vacuum bagged, clearly marked with date, in DB
- one set of SOLAS flares, expired, from most recent life raft repack, vacuum bagged, labeled, in DB
- one of the new battery operated “flare substitutes” in the DB
- Floating DB, with all the above, plus food, water, med kit, mirror, orange flag, knife, space blanket, etc, etc
- 22# Delta Quickset as primary anchor, with 30ft chain and 600ft of 1/2” 8-plait rode
- Danforth 12H secondary anchor, in bracket on pulpit. Chain and 200ft rode stored under V berth
- Secondary rode could be bent to bitter end of primary rode for >800ft total. Good for most areas I might break down.
- Revere Coastal Commander, 6 person in a valise. Purchased in 2007, repacked 2010, 2013 and 2016. Sold boat before next repack due.
- Simrad AP24 autopilot
- one set of average binoculars and one high end marine armored binoculars, with bearing compass
- two foot long emergency VHF antenna. Could be connected to either fixed VHF.
- two adapter cables to connect either handheld VHF to either fixed VHF antenna, or the emergency antenna.
- Five Stearns Type I life vests. $100 each...
- one comfortable adult vest for all day wear
- two manual inflate vests, one for Cathy and one for me. Mine went back to my offshore sailing and has a built in harness. So yes, a nylon tether that I could use as needed.
- the typical required Type IV throwable
- 200 ft of 3/8” floating yellow polypropylene line, used behind raft ups, etc, as a “corral” for swimmers
- triangular 'collision mat' with lines attached.
- wooden plugs for each through hull, located and secured in close proximity to the through hull. And a proper short-handled mallet in a known location.

Regular crew were familiar with all gear, and had seen the CD video that came with the life raft. Others coming onboard for any trip outside the Bay had to come early enough (or the day before during bait prep) for a full safety brief.

All the above was my approach to equipping the boat as I saw appropriate, and not with an unlimited budget. I was able to do all my own installations, upgrades and replacements, so that helped.

I provide it for your consideration, or amusement. YMMV

Happy to answer questions on here, or via PM.

"The sea is selective, slow at recognition of effort and aptitude but fast in the sinking of the unfit."

Brian
Master, Oceans, Steam, Motor or Sail, 1600 Tons
Chief Mate, Oceans, Unlimited
Radar Observer
Commander, USN (Ret)
US Navy Senior Offshore Sailing Skipper

Last edited:

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Great list but unless I missed it you forgot a sea anchor.

If you are offshore, loose power and the wind kicks up deploying a sea anchor holds the bow to and slows your drift.

I bought one on eBay years ago and occasionally use it to slow my drift when bottom fishing. Rig it with some barrel sinkers on a couple lines and pieces of pool noodle on opposite lines which go to a swivel to 25ft of poly line. Cheap, easy and effective.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
No, you didn’t miss it. Decided too large and challenging for our usual crew.

Except for the few times we were in a canyon or “overboard”, we were never deeper than where we could anchor. Or, I could deploy both anchors on one rode and get the same result as the sea anchor.

We had, and used, large sea anchors on our offshore sail training yachts, but meant for storm conditions.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Not sure how the heck you fit all that on your boat :p Do you have enough room left for 6 people?;)

Seriously...that is a great list. Gotta add a few of those things to my boat as well, just need to figure out where everything will fit/go.

R