Saftey issues with low transom on 22' Tournament

KeysGrady

Reaction score
Hi, New user . Looking to buy my first Grady (used). Have been looking at Tournament Models 18-22' . I have been leaning towards the 22.5g, full transom with bracket and full dive platform across. I'm looking at a 1984 that seems clean but the transom is the larger cut out style with edge about 5" above waterline. Is this going to be a safety issue? Want the boat for diving on the reef and this low transom seems to be advantageous in getting out of boat but not at the cost of safety. I am open to hearing the wisdom of all members , as it relates to this question and to any thoughts they may have on the Grady Tournament models in general. Also thoughts about the S.V Hull compared to the old style hull. Thank you all for any input you can offer this Grady White newbie.

p.s Take it easy on me.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd had a couple Gradys with the large outboard notch, and ran them consistantly offshore with no problems. In fact, I got caught in a bad storm way out with waves breaking over the bow and filling the cockpit for hours. If I had a closed transom model that day I wouldn't be telling this story. We just folded down the splash guard and the water ran over the notch and out.
The only time you'll get any water coming in over that notch, is if you do a real rapid deceleration coming off plane to dead stop, and it will be one following wave which will go in the splash area and quickly out the 4 cockpit drains. This is providing that the transom is structually sound, and the outboat(s) are not too heavy for this boats application. Many have installed twin outboards, or single 4 strokes, which are heavier than the original 2 strokes, and found that their cockpit drains are below water line when sitting still.
More important thing to check on a 1984 with that outboard notch, would be the integrity of the transom core. They are notorious for letting water into core area under the angle molding installed on the outside edging of the notch, and deteriorating the wood core.
Take a screwdriver with you and remove a few of the screws holding this molding. Then push a ice pick-like device down into screw hole and see if wood feels soft. Also remove any lower exterior transom screws holding transducer, speedometer wheel, etc., and see if water comes out of holes. If so, you may want to check another boat, or get ready for a MAJOR repair. If seller won't let you do this simple test, then run away fast. JMO, Mike.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree. I had a 1986 Seafarer with the drop down splash well and it was the a great small dive boat. Very easy access to the swim platform. We never took water over the transom.

I also agree on the suggestions for checking for a wet transom. You can have a surveyor check the transom and stringers for you if you aren't confident. But removing a transducer screw will usually show you the truth.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I looked at several before I bought. With all of 5" of transom free board, I said "no way" on a notch. Also, you want a swim platform with step, I've had to crawl back in a 22 notch, and it wasn't much fun (or easy) crawling over the engine.

I bought an '86 T-225G and couldn't be happier. More usable cockpit, no worries about backwash coming in, more storage, and much less chance of the transom going south ... :wink: