Sailfish 25

cditch

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the second, from the bow, thru hull drain on the starboard side is for on the 1986 sailfish 25

JeffN

Reaction score
You said in your earlier post that you thought you had a leaking thru hull. On my '83, yours may be different, I have thru hulls fittings forward close together about a foot above the water line on the stb. side. One is the drain for the sink in the cabin, one for the sink in the head and the other is for the shower sump. Have you been running the shower and the shower drain pump is not working and the water going into the bildge? On my boat the one I worry about is the thru hull amid ships stb. at the water line, this drains the fishbox between the helm seats. If that one is leaking you will have water in the bilge possibly lots of water. How much water are we talking about? You may not have this as your boat has fish boxes on each side I believe behind the helm seats. I replaced both the thru hull fitting and the drain line last season. When I replaced that fitting it was cracked about half way around. Also you would have a drain for the forward bilge pump somewhere. Just a few of the possibilities. Hopefully someone with a '86 will have a better answer. How many thru hulls are there on the stb. side and where on your boat? Tomorrow when I am at the boat I will take note as to what thu hull is what and where they are.

cditch

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.. I have four drains on the stb side two toward the front about a foot above water line. And two amid ship. I know the one closer to the bow drains the galley sink and the other is the one I am concerned about because if I take a hose and spray it into the drain it goes into the bildge, which shouldn't happen corect? I know it should be above the water line, however If I were sitting on the gunnel on the stb side I guess it might go under the water line and put water in the bildge. The amount on water was a good bit, I would say probally 1 in on the floor in the cabin. Again yesterday was the first time I put the boat the boat in the water so I am trying to trouble shoot. I appreciate the help.

RJTFD

Reaction score
Do you have a macerator? It might be for the seacock that vents your macerator??

JeffN

Reaction score
I'll be going out to the boat later today and will check whats what on mine but in the meantime you said you had four thru hulls. If your cabin layout is like mine you would need four drains I think. Galley sink, head sink, shower sump, and forward bilge pump. In additon somewhere there should be a drain for the fish box/live well between the helm seats and drains for the fish boxes that you have port and stb. behind the helm area. Some of the drains MAY go into a Y fitting to share a thru hull but I think on mine they are all separate. If you run the hose in a thru hull for either the shower sump or the forward bilge pump the water will just flow backwards through the pump and into the bilge to my knowledge there are not check valves to restrict water flow from the outside in. If you run the hose in the other two you will fill up the sinks. My forward bilge pump is accessed through a beckson plate under the bottom cabin step, the shower sump is under an access hatch in the storage (storage compartment is under the helm seat) area behind the head compartment. An inch of water on the cabin floor is a lot of water - is that from the hose or is the boat in the water? I might suggest using the hose in the opposite direction as in running the hose in the sinks and fish box drains and see which thru hull the water comes out and indentify the thru hulls that way.

JeffN

Reaction score
My boat is not going to be much help, I have 5 thru hulls along the forward stb. side. Starting from the bow #1 is the cabin sink drain #2 is the forward bilge pump like Pez says. Those are accessed under the cabin sink cabinet. Farther back say next to the helm station are two more #3 is the head sink drain and #4 is the shower sump. On my boat these are accessed just inside the storage area behind the head compartment. Still father towards the stern is #5 located at the water line midship is the drain for the fish box between the helm seats. In regard to your fuel problem I don't have an answer but on my boat anyway if I lay down in the cockpit on the stb. side and look forward in the space between the inner liner and the hull you can see the vent line for the fuel tank. When I replaced mine it had a fold in it. In my case it still flowed air and was not totally blocked. To access the tank ends (as you porbably have already figured out) of the vent and fill if you take up the removable portion of the deck they are right there.

What have you found today?

seasick

Reaction score
cditch said:
Does anyone know what the second, from the bow, thru hull drain on the starboard side is for on the 1986 sailfish 25
See If you can download the owners manual from the Grady site. The manual has a description of all the hull fittings.(well at least mine did)

cditch

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, the one I was worried about was the forward bilge, however this is not where my problem is. I still have water coming in from somewhere just not sure where. I do know that I have no obvious cracks or holes in the hull. Has anyone had any problems with water coming in from the saltwater wash down intake?

JeffN

Reaction score
The salt water wash down should have a ball valve at the thru hull. Have you found that? Another item to check would be your deck drains. I believe that on your boat like mine the thru hull is under water and there is a hose from the deck fitting to the thru hull. The hoses get old and crack and the thru hull forthe drains are nylon. Yours may be different but that would be something to check anyway. What sort of power do you have bracket, transom mounted O/B, or I/O?

The drain plug is tight right?

Kraken

Reaction score
Hello everybody. Sorry to cut in a different question, but I am not used to the site. I am from Panama City, Rep of Panama and wonder if I can re power my 1993 25.2 Sailfish with Yamahas F250? Mainly by weight, size, etc. Saludos and Thanks in advance...

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Kraken said:
Hello everybody. Sorry to cut in a different question, but I am not used to the site. I am from Panama City, Rep of Panama and wonder if I can re power my 1993 25.2 Sailfish with Yamahas F250? Mainly by weight, size, etc. Saludos and Thanks in advance...

1 isn't enough power and 2 would weigh too much.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
cditch, I had water coming in this weekend as my rear bilge kept turning on every now and then. Looking in bilge in rear, I found water running from front to back on other side of the stringer. Went forward and under deck, opened up the hatch and found that the 3 way connector for the sinks was loose and spraying water. When I lifted up the fitting, the hose actually pulled off without any effort. Seems that clamp was never installed far enough back on the fitting. Reinstalled and problem gone. But, all my Water in the fresh water tank was now gone...tank empty. So when I returned home, refilled and no more leaks.

Check for loose fittings and also if your water tank empties faster than normal, might be possible that is your leak.