Sailfish 272 Pump Issues

Raptor1472

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi all, new owner of a 1995 Sailfish 272. Working on finding some replacement seals for the trim cylinders, fixing the windlass, and a variety of other things, but one thing I can’t find a lot of helpful information on is the electrical issue I’m having.

In the attached picture, I have the aft and forward bilge pumps, and the wash down pump in the on position. But as you can see, only the fwd bilge is getting power. It sputters occasionally, but the motor definitely needs to be replaced.

The main confusion is the aft bilge and wash down. I just had the boat surveyed last Saturday, and the aft bilge worked then according the the surveyor, not the wash down. Now both won’t work, and the switches won’t even light up.

All other switches on the board light up and seem to function their respective mechanisms any ideas about these two?

Long time boater but first time owner so any and all advice overall is welcome. Thanks!

IMG_3253.jpeg

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Don't panic just yet! I have an identical panel to yours on my 268 Islander that I'm currently rebuilding. There is a RED main power feed to a ORANGE buss that feeds all the breakers. Sounds like you may have some corrosion issues. Test things by wiggling the connectors on the breakers and switch you are testing. Remember the panel supplies 12 VDC to the different motors/lights.

Bilge pumps are fused back at the battery switches. Lift the floats manually and make sure they are working. If not fix that first. Both fuses are back there.
1715733704898.png

Grab a voltmeter and try the switches you are having problems with (like the washdown). Could be the wiring, the switch or the pump. Switches are no longer available but there are alternatives. You can't trust the lights to tell you if something is working. Check it to see if it is working and see if it is getting voltage.

Do yourself a big favor and try to repair the connector and wiring. Some guys are too quick to hack things and run new wires. All my wiring on a 1997 Islander is original;.

Last edited:

Bg56126

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I had a 99 Sailfish and experienced similar issues stemming from corrosion on the main bus bar. On the 99 it was under the steering wheel and required a full replace. It only took about 2 hours and solved all my intermittent electrical issues.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
All the circuits he is having trouble with are on the panel not on the fuse block and buss bar. Maybe ground wires are there.Here is a rough diagram of the panel. It was intended for my use so it's a little rough but it may help. Lots of wires but the diagram will help you understand what you are looking at. Not sure where the ground wires come together. They could be a problem too.

Washdown pump is in a terrible location in the aft bilge. I've installed several new ones over the years. My advice is just replace it (no repair) and get the same pump model (no mounting issues). Easy swap.

Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 8.34.12 PM.png

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Most likely, you have dirty/corroded/partially broken connections (whether pos or neg). Remove the panel and inspect really close - clean and reattach connections. You can swap a switch for another (identical) one to test if the switch is the problem.

Do this stuff first - it's a needed thing to do regardless.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
First you have to get a look at the back of the panel. All of the switches get power from one wire. It connects from one circuit breaker to the other.
Are any breaker popped?
Does anything else on the panel work? Nav lights. Cockpit

the manual fwd bilge switch lights so there is power at least to that breaker and switch. ( Unless the float switch is on in which case you might light the manual switch back through the brown wire )

the various pumps may be shot but might just have bad connections at either the switch or at the pump Look for vertigris green corrosion.

Those are carling McGill euro oval switches and they suck. I had som fall apart internally. Plan on replacing the whole thing with ConturaV switches. Look at recent posts about switch panels from NewWiremarine