Sailfish aux tank question

amr72

Reaction score
I have about 30 gallons of gas in my aux tank which needs to be pumped out. Does anyone know if the tank has baffles in it that would get in the way of pumping the gas out?

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I don't think there are baffles in the tanks. If you are using some sort manual pump, you may be able to snake a long enough hose in through the fill. If you are planning on using an electric pump, make sure it is safe; (made for pumping gasoline, and not just water or oil).

If the boat is high and dry, you could get a siphon going from the disconnected gas line primer bulb, to gas cans sitting on the ground.

The tanks also probably have an unused, plugged, secund fuel pickup. If you remove the 1/4 NPT plug, and thread in a hose barb, you will have another option where you can pump or siphon the fuel.

Be aware that static charge can ignite the fuel vapors. Keep everything grounded.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If there are baffels, they shouldn't get in the way of pumping the gas out. You can hook up a automotive fuel pump up to the fuel line and pump out that way.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
In the 50 gallon tank I don't recall baffles, in the 150 gal tank, yes.

When you pull the 50 gal tank sender, you can confirm readily.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There may be some confusion on what's a "baffle" or not.

My 150 gal tank has full height supports to hold up the roof, which as I recall blocks access from the sender port to the far rear end of the tank - should I want to get a hose back there to suck up all what's below the pickup tube base.

Not so with the 50 gallon tank, as I recall.

I think that's what the Op intends to do. I don't think he wants to get into fuel tank fabrication business.