Sailfish Fuel Tank/Tanks Question

fastal

Reaction score
I have an older sailfish, 1992 252 model. Boat has two fuel tanks each with their own fill as well as a valve in the transom to switch from main to aux. Tanks are listed as holding 101 gallons. I have never put more than 75 gallons in either tank, no reason other than not carrying the weight and not needing that much fuel. Recently I was filling up for a longer trip; dock fuel pump starts getting high towards 90 gallons, my records should have put me at full right there + or - a bit. Well it keeps filling until I stop it at 108 gallons. My question is are the tanks somehow interconnected? I'm a bit confused on how this works; any comments, tips, advice is greatly appreciated.

mhff34

Reaction score
I have a 2000 sailfish with 2 tanks. One holds 150 gallons and the other 50 gallons I don't believe they are connected but I accidently ran the reserve tank dry and felt the engine kick out for a second and then I believe it started drawing fuel from main tank?? Not 100% sure. Anyway switch the valve to the tank you want to draw from and the switch at the console just tells you how much fuel is in each tank but doesn't effect which tank you are drawing from

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You have two tanks as was stated, they are not piped together.
Approx 150 gal main, approx 50 gal aux.

Each motor has a selector valve that can select it's input from the tank of your choice (aux or main). Each tank you fill seperately, each tank draws down seperately, you can run both engines off the same tank at the same time if you want, no restrictions, you can swap tanks on the go, you are responsible to use the selector valves and fuel in such a way to avoid loss of power at sea.

With ethanol fuel around, the advise is to use fuel up regularly, so use both tanks regularly so fresh fuel is added more often than not.

It's up to you what level to fill to, I never fill up 200 gals during season, don't need that ampount of fuel for any trip, I keep max 125 combined and refill after approx. 75 gals of fuel usage per fuel management system.
I tend not to fuel both tanks at once so I avoid loss of power in both motors at same time due to defective fuel dump. So one motor stays on existing fuel supply until I'm confident in new fuel on other motor.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm wondering how you got 75 gallons in the resere tank. Do you smell gas in the bilge?

fastal

Reaction score
Grog, I should have clarified that I had run that aux tank dry when I first got the boat in 2007 and had never re-filled...I know not smart. For some reason I had it in my head that both tanks were 101 gallons.

Bob, as usual thank you for your expertise. It has been very helpful this year.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
fastal, ask anything you need to, nothing about the Sailfish we can't answer here at GG !

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
By the way, you have one fuel level gauge, do you know how it works in order to read either tank level ?

fastal

Reaction score
Bob, thanks again. I'd love an explanation on the readings if you would be so kind.

Also, have you heard anything about yamaha recommending that you do not use startron with their motors?

Al