sailfish rocket launcher height

wdlfbio

Reaction score
I'm having a custom rocket launcher built for my Sailfish. 7 holders up top. I'm wondering what you would change about yours or any recommendations for mine, especially where would you want the top of your rod holder to be relative to the top of the hardtop?

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How high can you reach? I have to stand on the back seats to reach mine, but it works for me. The top of my launchers are about 6" above the hard top. I would post a picture if I could ever figure it out. There is a picture of mine on Redman Marines' website look at Gulfstream hard top, also a separate picture of mine, look at accessories or maybe rocketlaunchers. Hope this helps. Joe

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Be careful how low you make them, if leaping down off the bridge one day to grab that rod, you just might clip bottom with your head, or if you are normal height, a guest who is taller might. It will be a nasty scalp injury.

Also, getting to the ones other than end ones is rediculous at sea.
I'm 6 ft 1 inch and it's a real challenge when the boat is rocking, and a good stretch at the dock. So start them over to the sides as far as practical. You may throw in the towel on the center position ones.

Opted for four LEE clamp-ons Tulip style, on the hardtop frame risers, don't even bother anymore with the five OEMs on top.

Good luck.

toolguy73

Reaction score
Can't comment on the height, but I would suggest a six rod launcher with four straight up center ones, and each end one angled at 60 degrees. That was the setup on my last boat (custom hardtop & built in launcher). The outer ones were part of my 7 rod striper spread when at anchor. Many fish came from those 2 rods.

Grady282owner

Reaction score
wdlfbio,

Please keep us posted on your launchers. I as well would like to get a set for my 06 282 but have had trouble finding where to have them done in my area. If possible can you take a few pictures and specs if you do order them?

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I modified one for my 2004 282 from a unit I bought on Ebay. It was from Striker. It was a nine rod holder. The brackets I fabricated were made from a piece of 6" angle aluminum. (alot of polishing) I kept the bottom of the tulip holders just below the lip of the hardtop. As others say on here It was really difficult to get to the center holders. I too thought about dropping the height but kept safety in mind.I didn't want someone either tall or jumping from the helm to the cockpit getting the top of their head caught on the pole holders. Even the side holders were tough to get to in rougher seas. I needed to stand on the gunnel to reach any rods and I'm 5'10" tall.

The problem is the height of hardtop is determined by the helm and not the cockpit. I kept the rods least used up there (extras) and a spare fish net as well.

Good luck.

Grady282owner

Reaction score
Thank you Bob. I will look into Striker and see what I may be able to do.

wdlfbio

Reaction score
Grady282owner said:
Thank you Bob. I will look into Striker and see what I may be able to do.

I searched that user name and nothing came up??

ahill

Reaction score
Bob P.
I'm also 6'1 and find the OEM difficult.
What is the tobe od for the clamp on tulips.
I'll be going to the Pompano Beach Marine flea this weeken and may find some.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ahill, I missed your question - don't get on as much as I used to.

I will measure the OD and circumference tonight, I know I wrote it down somewhere but can't recall, easier to measure again.

The hardtop frame design changed over the years, so verify yours. Mine are clamped to the vertical rear most tube, not the horizontal frame elements. Two on each side.
Lee has different models for horizontal and vertical mounts.

The clamp design is rock solid.
Being the units are aluminum, no chance of galvanic damage. I stayed with standard color to mimic OEM

ahill

Reaction score
Thanks Bob P.
I have it written down somewhere too!
My boat is 140 miles away so I can't walk out back & check.
Not having it handy makes maintenance etc. a chore.
The location makes up for it though.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ahill, no problem, my boat is in the driveway!

As I think about it, I believe the largest vertical tube has not changed in dimension over the years.
Good to buy from a source where returns for refund are acceptable, if you can.

Or state your year model Sailfish and ask another member to verify, or call Grady HQ. They should have someone there who knows more than I do about Grady hardtop frame dimensions!

I measured 1-5/8 inch outer diameter and 5-1/4 inch circumference. These are approx.
It's a standard size that will stand out clearly in a catalog.