Sailfish Tackle Storage

Motivator

Reaction score
Has anyone come up with a way to increase the tackle storage on a Sailfish 282? I am tired of having my tackle bags in the cockpit and helm area when fishing. There has got to be something I can do to keep the clutter to a minimum while fishing.
Any ideas?

bc282

Reaction score
definitely an issue i share, especially due to me being a tackle whore.
But i've pared my tackle down as much as i can and installed a Tempress tackle hatch in the aft bunk (cut a hole in the bulk head/partition that hides the AC unit on the starboard side of the rear bunk). I put in a 15x11 unit, but you can install a much larger one if you want as there is enough space. Extra/spare tackle is what is stashed there.
Otherwise, the storage under the captains' chairs are filled with plano tackle trays. and other extra tackle is stashed where the microwave used to be.

when i see larger CC with the entire backside of the helm seating devoted to tackle storage and a rigging center. . . i've almost creamed my pants in envy.

If you don't use the microwave, i'd pull it out. If i had the time, i'd build some drawers or shelves into that space for proper tackle storage.

you may also consider buying a "back-pack tackle" bag and hanging it on the back of one of the captain's chairs. I considered this, but didn't as it interfered too much with the seated persons.

good luck, let me know if you find something that really works well as i'd love to know too.