Sailfish with twin 150hp - doable?

DannyG

Reaction score
I have a 1995 Sailfish 27' that currently has twin 200's. I was thinking of repowering with 150's but not sure if this is a good idea. I don't really care about the top end and I know that these would have to work a little harder to reach the same cruising speeds, but if anyone has this set up I would like to hear about it.

Thanks,
Dan

Bill_N

Reaction score
Search the Classified sites for boats like yours with 150's and ask questions about the econmy, performance etc. If you can't find any you have your answer.

bc282

Reaction score
i doubt you'd be happy with the performance that comes from 100 less HP.
Likely the boat will get on step and plane but will require much more effort, more difficult to do when heavily loaded and he tuffer to keep on plane in ruff seas. Also to get decent performance you'll need to run the engines harder and even see poorer economy compared to a pair of 200's.
i haven't seen a 272 or 282 sailfish with anything less than 200's.
if you decide to sell the boat it will be a really tuff sell with that engine package. I don't think there's too much price difference between a pair of 150's and 200's to warrant going wiht 100 less HP. If $ is an issue, a pair of HPDI's are well priced and are very good engines and lighter than F200/225's.