saltwater wash down issue

ninodog10309

Reaction score
Yesterday I was out black fishing and the last time i went to use my wash down it squirt water like it was about to work like normal and then it just stopped.. There are no kinks in the hose. the livewell works fine. after running a few minutes on the way in i tried again and same thing.. i tried it and it shot one squirt and then died again.. Not sure if the livewell and washdown run off same pump.. Do you think its a pump issue? Or something in the intake ? ANy opinions ...

BTW..

Its a grady white 257 advance

Cant figure it out... just know I gotta get it working cause crab bait is messy as hell and if it sits all day while black fishing the s#!t tkes hours to get off at the dock !

Thnx in advance

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It may be the nozzle, I had one that would work ok then cut out. Take the nozzle off the hose and test it then try to give it backpressure and see if it still pumps.

ninodog10309

Reaction score
I tried taking the nozzle off completely and turning the pump on and nothing. tried taking the hose off all together and same thing.
:hmm Always something.. gotta figure this out.. hope its not the pump .

Pay2Play

Reaction score
Sounds like it could be the pressure switch, mine had corroded connections.

ninodog10309

Reaction score
Fishshoreman said:
Don't be angry but is the seacock open?

Actually to be honest I have not checked anything under the deck but I dont see how it would have just become open. I really havent even looked to see where the pump and seacock are yet which is something I probably should do. since that day I havent been down to the boat. Just been to busy. Ill check in the manual where its located and go down and check. wouldnt I be taking water though also if it was open ?
I would think the bildge would turn on. and it hasnt.

I betta get down there and investigate a little further.

ninodog10309

Reaction score
Pay2Play said:
Sounds like it could be the pressure switch, mine had corroded connections.

The pressue switch? Where is that? your not talking about the switch on the helm right ?
Cause that looks fine. it lights red when its on and I do get that intitial spurt of water and than nothing..

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There's a switch built into the pump that turns the pump off when it hits a certain pressure. After a while it may reset allowing you to pump water to the livewell. Leave the washdown hose wide open, set the 3 way valve to livewell and turn the pump on. If you have flow to the livewell, slowly turn the 3 way valve to washdown and listen to the pump, there should be strong flow out the hose. Gradually give the pump backpressure by closing the valve, kink, thumb,.. The pump should change pitch as you give it more pressure then turn itself off at a certain point. If it doesn't turn on as soon as a valve is opened, the switch is bad.

gw204

Reaction score
ninodog10309 said:
Actually to be honest I have not checked anything under the deck but I dont see how it would have just become open.

It woudn't. You have to open it to make the system work. If it's closed, the pump can't draw any water in. Your's probably spurted out what little water was left in the lines when you turned it on.

Unless something is wrong, you won't take on water with the valve open and the boat sitting. The seacock is plumbed to the pump, which is plumbed (probably) to a diverter valve. That is then plumbed to the washdown outlet and the livewell discharage, both of which are above the water line. It's is however a good safety practice to close the seacock when not in use though.

ninodog10309

Reaction score
okay... looks like I got some things to check.. LOL..
Hopefully i can find them all.

I will keep ya's posted.. Thanx for the help//

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Can you.hear the pump cycling on and off it may be the press switch. Could also be a corroded connection or if you can't hear anything maybe a dead pump. One time mine stopped working I could hear the pump working, valves were all open and could no find a cause. After troubleshooting found the pump worked fine - the problem ended up being an eel had got into the intake hose and had clogged the system. Good luckp

ninodog10309

Reaction score
Ok. So went down to the boat today to top off cause we are going off shore tomorrow about 4am.
Anyway turned the power on and flipped the wash down switch and saw the hose jumped immediatley and I heard the pump. pressed the trigger and was like a firehose.

Dunno... guess the intake was blocked and cleared out ? ? ? ? :hmm
who the hell knows.... anyway... thanks for all your input guys..