Scratched engine covers

tbasgil

Reaction score
How many of you scratch your engine covers backing into your docks? The floating dock pilings have those nice steel bars on them......little windy and sure enough hitting a piling is ugly. Curious if I'm the only one touching up the engine covers...............

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
First month with my new to me GW 282 coming out of a tight slip I over compensated and my engine cowls went under the hanging anchor of the boat in the next slip. Long deep scratch, sanded it, applied putty, sanded again. Used Yam can spray paint a few coats then clear top coat and looks brand new. Back of the slip I had put floating bolsters to avoid enging hitting dock.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
A tech handed me the cowling on my starboard engine preperatory to unclogging the speedo tube (inaccurate MPH readings due to sediment entering the pitiot tube) and I dropped the cowling on the cement below me. (My slick wax job was my undoing..It slipped right out of my hands.)

I am a bit of an extremist..I bought a new replacement cowling and had it decaled correctly. My tech installed it back on the engine when it arrived at my dealership and I had the scratched one re-painted at a local body shop. The new one was $1200.00 or so, but I now have a "backup cowling" and when the next mishap occurs, I'll pop the spare on while fixing the scratched one.
In other words, I'll just keep rotating cowlings and I'll always have unscathed ones on the engines.

Enough Already

Reaction score
The first scratch is the most traumatic. Scratch 100 just means you are using the boat and stuff happens. Assuming you know what a spring line is, just enjoy the boat and get a touch-up kit. Or make friends with a decent body shop who can re-spray them every few years.

tbasgil

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips.......I really appreciate it. It's a beautiful 2005 232 Gulfstream with only 79 hours on the engines. The previous owner never drove the boat.........I have 52 hours on the engines since late March and will easier surpass 79 hours my first year. SO....I'm nervous to scratch anything........but I really like the after 100 scratches you just repaint em.............thanks guys!