scuppers

ttles714

Reaction score
1986 240 Offshore... twin 150 Johnson(2000)..When boat is at rest , the scuppers are below the water line. Has anyone ever made any modification to change or solve this...always water it the transom area.

richie rich

Reaction score
there are a lot of posts on this....the boat is over 20 years old and may have soaked up some water in the transom and stringers...they are made of wood and screws/bolts holes leak over time and let water in.......my 88 is in that category and items are currenly being replaced ..... its a lot of work....but even new Grady's sit low.....if they are just low but draining well...it is what it is and I wouldn't worry,,,,but if you're not draining and standing in water you may need to dig deeper...literally....also, check the engine bracket for water if you have one...many times these extended brackets fill with water due to the caulk giving up around the access holes and thru bolts. There are drain plugs underneath. Make sure your scupper drain hoses are in good condition and clear of debris...replace and double clamp as well...if it gets stinky in the bilge even after using cleaner, like something is dying down there, and there's no standing water, the wood may be starting to rot....hopefully not, but be prepared for this news....good luck

ttles714

Reaction score
scuppers again

I believe my scupper issue, as well as others on this post, is a design/ engineering FLAW ... I've owned my 240 since new(1986), as well as a 204C purchased new 9 years before. They both had/have the same problem. The scuppers let water into the boat. Both boats did this since day one ! As much as I am a Grady fan, the truth is that they screwed up. I would hope that the newer models are better and that the folks at Grady can look themselves in the mirror. A few issues that i've seen through the years with Gradys that they just don't live up to all the hype on quality........Very poor wiring, sloppy and non tinned.....Gas tanks that sit in the bilge and rot... The scupper / transom water problem......Transoms that absorb water and need to be replaced. In 1978 and 1986, I paid more for Grady Quality and to tell the truth, it was not up to all the hype.

richie rich

Reaction score
for a second I thought you were describing my boat.. :D once I get it fixed, she'll run right.....can't beat the ride though and their fishing layout is the best out there in small to mid-sized boats......