Sea board, king starboard, etc. in GW cream color?

bc282

Reaction score
how's that saying go, "eyes too big or bigger than the stomach?"

i kinda figured the 12" Furuno NN3D display would be too large to fit the helm of the 282, but i figured i'd make it work as 12" is much bigger and thus better than the 8" display (which would have fit inside the helm console nicely). so, i ordered the big 12" NN3D and found out it most definitely will not fit inside the helm console--but i can make it fit if flush mounted in front of the helm console with some mods :D

i need a 32" x 12" x 3/4" GW cream colored piece of UHM board (C board, king starboard, etc.) the local plastics show can't get that color.

any members know where i can get some of this stuff to match the color and hopefully not cost an arm or leg?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Flush mount large display

I did a similar "oversize" display in my 268 Islander.

What you need is King Starboard the color is Seafoam. Not sure where to get the 3/4" starboard. I would buy what I need from a local boat yard. The 1/4" and 1/2" can be bought from West or Cabellas. I used 1/4" for the front and a 1/2" piece at the top for 3/4"".

Use best quality GE silicone caulk in almond/off white (Home Depot) to finish it off.

Check out this post:
http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9296

Here is a online source for the starboard. You may be able to find some locally. http://www.buckwoodcraft.com or http://www.marisafe.com

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
This is done with 1/2", purchased from Marisafe.

NewFlush1.jpg

Hoghunter

Reaction score
Have you tried your local Grady dealer. The dealer her in Washington stocks the starboard and caulk. I just get whatever I need from them. Great price as well.

bc282

Reaction score
Hoghunter said:
Have you tried your local Grady dealer. The dealer her in Washington stocks the starboard and caulk. I just get whatever I need from them. Great price as well.

Capstan Marine is my closest dealer in Richmond. Most GW owners can tell you that they are not on par with GW service standards which is too bad. I'd heard GW service was very good and partly the reason i bought a GW, but Capstan did not impress, in fact when i inquired about getting some service done last year, they said they were too busy and did not service boats other than those they directly sold. Disappointing. I did mention this to GW HQ. Wed, I did call them and they only can get white or black starboard. If time and schedule allows, i might make a trip down south to your dealer to grab some stuff. Good to hear your dealer is more on the ball.

bc282

Reaction score
Re: Flush mount large display

Thanks for the link on your work on your 268. That's exactly what i'm looking to do for the 282. I figured since the console top starboard strip piece was 3/4", i'd use that. planning on using a trapazoidal piece at the helm.

how did you laminate the 0.25 and 0.5" pieces together?
how did you attach the starboard to the console without showing fasteners (slick looking install!)?

GP32%20and%201722.JPG

Helm%20Console%201.jpg.JPG

Hookup1 said:
I did a similar "oversize" display in my 268 Islander.

What you need is King Starboard the color is Seafoam. Not sure where to get the 3/4" starboard. I would buy what I need from a local boat yard. The 1/4" and 1/2" can be bought from West or Cabellas. I used 1/4" for the front and a 1/2" piece at the top for 3/4"".

Use best quality GE silicone caulk in almond/off white (Home Depot) to finish it off.

Check out this post:
http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9296

Here is a online source for the starboard. You may be able to find some locally. http://www.buckwoodcraft.com or http://www.marisafe.com

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As stated above, GE silicone will finish it off nice. I just finished recaulking my whole boat, GE's Silicone II in Almond, in the red label is a perfect match and is the only Silicone II recommended for fiberglass. It is a better match then Grady's stock GE silicone that was originally in the boat. Also, make sure you cut starboard at the right rpm or it will melt back together and be very difficult to work with, and plan to router the edges to give it a clean finished look.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Flush install

I took the top factory starboard piece out and replaced it with a piece of 1/2" starboard. The starboard extends up above the top of the existing box.

I then fabricated the 1/4" piece that replaced the black plexiglass. This also extended up above the top of the existing box.

If you look carefully at this picture you can see the two top and bottom holes drilled into the box. The top ones secure the front panel from the inside with screws. The bottom ones use screws from the outside but are covered by the Garmin unit.

4210c.jpg

After you create the 1/4" starboard front cut a large opening in it. Not as large as the new unit. Maybe an inch extra all around. That way you can work inside the box.

The Garmin unit flush mounts from the outside. There are four screws that hold it in and trim strip that hide them. You can see the screw holes in each corner. The trim strips are not installed. The unit covers an edge about 3/8" around the unit. It hides the two screws on the bottom and two screws on top.

4210a.jpg

After the pieces were fabricated the edges were routed with a 1/8" bit to radius the edges.

To bind the 1/4" and 1/2" pieces I used GE silicone Almond caulk and a few screws. Two from inside and two on the edge by the Garmin similar to what you see on the bottom. The caulk doesn't stick well. It cleans the edges up. This should be your last step before installing the new panel with more caulk and screws.

Its not difficult to do. You have to measure twice and cut once.

Reactions: ilmmct

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
2nd vote here for Fin-Addict Marine. If you send them your template and layout, they will cut the holes for you, as well.

bc282

Reaction score
ocnslr,
does the hatch you installed on top of the console match GW creme color?
i like the idea of flushing but not losing my storage space inside the console.
if color matches, what make and model is it?

ocnslr said:
This is done with 1/2", purchased from Marisafe.

NewFlush1.jpg

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander

bc282

Reaction score
Have you guys looked at the Tempress hatches in "Ivory"?

wondering if that is a good color match to the GW creme color or are the "off white" offerings OK matches such as from Pompanette?