sea trial

alantani

Reaction score
well, it floats! my neighbor and i dropped the boat into the water on monday, just over 3 months since i bought it. we launched out of oyster point, just south of san francisco.

104_0909.JPG

104_0910.JPG

here's what the console looks like. i've got the furuno 1934 radar with chart plotter overlay and integraged gps in the center. there's a simrad ap 26 autopilot to the right. the fishfinder on the left is the furuno 1100 with a 1kw through hull transducer. and there's a small furuno gps as back up, just above the radar display. out of view are a pair of icom 602 vhf's hanging under the electronics, and a lonely am/fm cd player inside the box. all of this was installed by maritime electronics in sausalito, ca. they did a fabulous job!

104_0911.JPG

here's one very tired, but very happy skipper! worked a very late shift at the hospital the night before. here you can see the side by side vhf radios. one is for channel 16, the other is for the working channel in the area that i'm fishing.

104_0915.JPG

for those of you that do not know san francisco bay, here's the approach to san francisco from the southeast.

104_0914.JPG

this a view from the southeast, looking under the bay bridge at downtown san francisco.

104_0917.JPG

alcatraz island.

104_0920.JPG

the golden gate bridge off in the distance.

104_0925.JPG

we stopped off at sam's in tiburon for lunch, the off to sausalito to pick the service tech at the electronics shop that installed my electronics. we cruised around the harbor to dial in the autopilot, fiddle with the radar, and burn a little more gas. then home again. here is a shot of another grady, a 226 i think, that was going through sea trials just like me.

104_0927.JPG

so the engines all all broken in, the autopilot is set up, and i'm up to speed on about 10% of electronics. time for some fishing reports. nice to be on the water again. oh, and today i goofed off some more. my 12 year old medaled three times at the silicon valley finals track meet. this kid can run a 5:40 mile! i promise, tomorrow i'm working on reels!

104_0931.JPG

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Alan, she looks beautiful. May she always bring you home safely, with full fish boxes.

I spent ten months on Treasure Island in 1966, and have been back to SF a few times since. Don't recall seeing the Bay looking so nice, i.e. no big waves, not even white caps... :D

Brian

GWcpa

Reaction score
Love the boat, but I'm more impressed by the 5:40.

My kid just pitched his first game the other day and got the win. Sure I hate missing out on some weeekend boating, but I can boat when my son is older. He's only going to play little league once, but I'll be boating a long time.

How do you get into the cabin with the display on top of the hatch?

The open array is very cool. 8)

GT

Reaction score
VERY nice. Congratulations on your daughter's accomplishments. May there be many many and many varied more.

I was wondering about the display on the hatch too. is it on a swivel mount? How else could you get in/out of the cabin.
Last month on buisness to San Fran,, I took a dinner cruise from the marina right next to the Giants ball park. Got to see where all the kayakers hang out waiting for a home run ball. Your pictures all seemed like the same route we took, the bay bridge, Under the Golden Gate, Alacatraz. A great trip, I was wondering about the fishing, but nobody on board knew a thing. I guess you know a bit more than the cruise staff...!

alantani

Reaction score
we debated about the fishfinder. i wanted to hang it under the radio box. the guys said everyone would bang their heads. hey, i'm only 5'8". why should i care if someone 6' tall bangs his head!

well, they ended up bolting it to the hatch cover. it's on a swivel mount. all you have to do is lift the hatch. there are little rubber pads on the fishfinder so it won't bang. these guys thought of everything!

still, i wish i was taller!

t bird

Reaction score
Alan-
Will you post a close-up of that transom?
Are the two rod holders and knife holder “standard’
on that boat?
Nice set up!
T
30 Marlin T 225

alantani

Reaction score
the boat is tucked up against a fence, so i couldn't back up too much. hope this shows what you were looking for.....

104_1046.JPG

104_1047.JPG

104_1048.JPG

104_1049.JPG

104_1050.JPG

104_1051.JPG

104_1052.JPG

reelscreamer2

Reaction score
Thanks for posting all of those beautiful shots of the transom. I'm in the south bay too and hope to purchase a Journey 258 this year! Still have to sell my current rig. By the way, a week ago my brother was up visiting from southern ca. and wanted to wet a line. We picked up some live shiners from Mike at Jailhouse Bait and fished out of Oyster Point. By 10 am we had caught 11 nice schooly stripers from 5 to 10 lbs. We each kept our 2 fish limit and released the rest. I'll probably be out again on Monday. Maybe I'll see you out there sometime.

Pete
:D