Seafarer 228 Handling Advice

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For those that have a 228, I would like some feedback on your experiences and tips on how it handles.

1. Its been almost 20 years since I had my last boat (22 Wellcraft WA), but never had issues with docking. With the 228, I am docking at the same location and same approach but have already missed the dock 2 times. Basically, had it lined up perfectly, was right next to it and then got overpowered by the wind and current. I never had this issue before using the same technique (switching between idling, neutral and reverse). Does the bracket handle differently? Does the engine need to be trimmed a certain way to not drone? I have compensated by going faster into the dock but this might result in other issues.

2. In rougher water, what’s the sweet spot you have learned between the trimming of the engine and speed? Haven’t had the right conditions outside of this weekend with lots of boat wakes in the bay causing some chop. So far, it feels like, with full tanks, that trimming the engine around 2-3 and at about 22-27 seems to let her plow through nicely without too much pounding.

3. Similar to #1, even with turning to approach the dock seems like I can’t put it into neutral. I remember being able to do this and my old boat used to almost pivot with no wind or current. Is there a trick to getting her to pivot without moving/ drifting too much? Do I need to use reverse to help spin her around quicker?

Any advice would be appreciated. I haven’t had the conditions needed to practice much. Maybe it’s age, but I never worried about this stuff when I was a kid driving the boat daily.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As far as backing up, trim the motor out away from the boat, not tucked in or vertical, out. It helps with reverse handling, puts prop wash under the boat and not into the transom, gives you more reverse power and control. I bump mine in and out of gear and use the motor as a rudder to angle in while coasting out of gear. Slow and steady.

Do you have tabs? The 228 and others are tab friendly and benefit from tabs and engine trim together to navigate rough water. Keeping bow down helps cut the waves and uses the entry better instead of hitting waves mid ship.

Punch53

Reaction score
I have the same boat for over 4 years now and I find the low speed handling to be horrible. The wind catches the bow and it is all over. I've tried trimming the engine all the way up when maneuvering around the docks but it doesn't help. I have considered installing a bow thruster. An Italian company makes one that will fit. I have owned boats for 40 years and always considered myself a good boat handler. Not anymore. If I get into the slip without event it is almost a miracle. On the other hand the boat handles the ocean beautifully. Great riding boat. Very difficult to get it to pound. Other than a thruster I see no solution except to get rid of it. Btw, this is also the smallest boat I've ever owned.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Easy, all can be solved. Seriously lol. Just drop the “8” for a 22“6” :). Now that I started a fire let’s see how big this argument gets when I wake up tomorrow lol.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
KY got it right on the reverse , trim it all the way up, especially if you have a pre 2012 model , the one with the F/G swim platform. My new boat with the aluminum swim platform is a lot better . The bracket on the new boat is pointy underneath ( the older F/G is flat) and the motor is further back .
As for heading out to sea, on a head sea work your trim and or tabs, trim in until you are comfortable at the speed you are going. These boats handle the rough very well for their size. Careful on following sea avoid trimming in, as you are coming off a wave you could dive in the next one. Make sure the boat is always level, load evenly and use some trim tab to keep her level.

Reactions: trilogy

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
KY got it right on the reverse , trim it all the way up, especially if you have a pre 2012 model , the one with the F/G swim platform. My new boat with the aluminum swim platform is a lot better . The bracket on the new boat is pointy underneath ( the older F/G is flat) and the motor is further back .
As for heading out to sea, on a head sea work your trim and or tabs, trim in until you are comfortable at the speed you are going. These boats handle the rough very well for their size. Careful on following sea avoid trimming in, as you are coming off a wave you could dive in the next one. Make sure the boat is always level, load evenly and use some trim tab to keep her level.
Yeah u right on that one. She likes to stuff her face on a following sea. Especially in big rolling swells. Keeping trim up and the boat level to avoid using tabs is very important.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for all the feedback...

Yes, I do have trim tabs and need to learn how to use them better. I feel that I have to be more aggressive than with my prior boat to get the bow to correct it’s leaning one side vs the other. I never used trim tabs though to raise or lower the bow, just the leaning. So this is something I need to figure out.

What trim level do you typically go with to handle head seas? I haven’t gone above 3 yet but wondering what the experiences are...

Will definitely try the trimming out with reverse.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I often found myself running my 226 on my 10hp 4-stroke kicker when in a harbor, at the fuel dock, etc. It would turn on a dime, and was much easier to run slowly, idle around while waiting, etc. The single big 2-stroke was less nimble. FWIW.

trilogy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
KY is on the money---if you don't trim your motor to push the prop wash under the boat, the thrust hits transom and you have limited backing ability.

1. The boat will soar in the wind--especially if you have the curtains up--basically becomes a sailboat. I always account for the wind to be 2x as strong as it appears and I end up coming in softly--and I'm in a tucked away slip.

2. The Trim Tabs are your best friend--never been at a helm of another boat that loves to be tabbed more than the 228--a little tab goes a long way. More than any engine trim, the tabs are critical to a smooth ride. I get made fun of as it appears I'm often playing the piano with fingers on both tab switches, but no one spills their beer or gets wet--and my tab playing becomes appreciated.

3. Only way I maneuver in the fairway of the marina is a constant in and out of gear with plenty of time in between thrusts to see how much the boat reacts. The 228 is not a boat to run up to the dock and throw in reverse---its a sloth style docking procedure--not sexy but better than getting into trouble.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for all the feedback....For some reason, this thread didn’t come up when searching the site but came up on google...Very informative...

Crbomberger

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m have the same docking issue with my new to me 228. I’ve never felt like such a rookie trying to put my boat on its lift. My local Yamaha dealer (not Grady, but is very familiar with the 228) says a four blade prop won’t solve the problem but should help. Mine is on order and will post my experience. It’s worth a shot, I guess.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well, using the trim tabs to handle lowering and raising the bow made a huge difference. Never thought of using them in this manner and it was amazing. Definitely a different thinking in mind when under way now as I only considered them when correcting a lean one way or the other.

Now, I need to learn how to slow down and compensate for the bow popping up with the change of speed. With boat traffic today, it made the bow bounce for 2-3 seconds and not cut the wakes like it did when I was at cruising speed.

Docking also seemed to be better with the engine up, but it was a west wind which is a little more friendly for me.

thanks again for all the advice!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
A 4 blade prop definitely helps, especially in reverse at the dock.

The SeaV2 hull is variable dead rise which ,of course many know this, the V shape evolves as you go from bow to stern. In head seas you want the deeper V up front to split the waves more so than the shallower V mid ship . If it was a constant dead rise or deep v those hulls while benefit from tab use, are not as sensitive when you don't use trim tabs. The trim tabs are key to take advantage of the hull design on the Grady.

So, in a head sea tab down ,tuck motor in and depending on the sea state and size will determine how much of both you need. In a following sea I only use enough tab to keep the yaw level. Motor goes to neutral or further out / up in the trim position.

At the dock I trim up . The 228 has a lot of windage with hard top. It's taken me a few years to get it down. If you think are going slow then might be going too fast lol. On the lake , depending on boat traffic, I will take it out of gear 4 or 5 boat lengths and drift to the dock with the momentum and just bump it. Now I will say the digital throttle is very nice to have when docking. A bump is a bump and there is zero lag in response.