Seafarer 228g sitting low in water

drumike102

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am pretty new here but have been boating for quite a while. Recently got my first grady. A 1989 Seafarer 228g with a 89 evinrude 200 on back. The problem I am having is I feel like the boat is sitting a bit low in the water. sitting at the dock the scuppers are below the water line. I was under the impression that this should not be. Also when out when we back her down from cruising speed the water comes up pretty high on the motor. Like up to where the hood seal is. Once at idle it is fine but just seems like it shouldn't get up that high. Any insight would be great. Maybe I'm crazy but just was under the impression that should sit a bit higher.
Boat in question
31673_401445599066_506839066_4332837_5125387_n.jpg

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Welcome Welcome.

How much fuel load in boat while scuppers below water, and how much below water? Can you see their tops? I presume with no one in boat?

How about with tank low?

Do you get any water coming up floor drain(s) on deck when standing in stern corners at sea? Tanks full or low, and how much so.

At dock, scuppers under water not unsual, not far underwater though.
I would expect you can see part of scupper flange.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good point on bracket, that's a standard annual drain-off procedure.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've owned my '89 for 10 years and two different engines (carbed 200 and EFI 225), and it's always been the same as what you describe. Even with the scupper outlets underwater, the deck drains are still several inches above the waterline and will still drain any water from the deck.