seafarer dilemma older 226 vs newer 228

gillyzonker

Reaction score
I have a dilemma and I'm hoping all you experienced grady owners can help me out.

I have the choice of buying the following two boats

1 . 1990 seafarer 226 hardtop with newer yamaha f225 fourstroke and newer aluminum trailer

2. 1993 seafarer 228 hardtop with 2003 200hp ox66 and 2001 glavinized trailer.

Assuming the price for both boats is fair market value and both motors are in good shape. Which is the lesser of two evils? The 1993 boat is priced approx $2k more than the 1990.

Does the SV2 hull and smoother ride with the full transom on the 1993 228 trump the older notched transom 226 with a newer four stroke? Or should I be more concerned about the outboards and go for the newer four stroke.

Do the older 1990 226 (non SV2 hull) handle well when repowered with a heavier 225 4 stroke?

thanks for your input?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Gilly,
To my knowledge those OX66 motors are tanks and perhaps others here can either confirm or deny this. I know reading here and other places that the first generation f225s have an exhuast manifold corrosion issue so if you go that route have the motor looked over for this issue.

I have only owned Gradys wtih CV2 hulls. The 228 rides nice for a boat its size. I was at Hadrells Bait and Tackle a year ago and met a guy there who had a non cv2 228 and nick named the boat the sea donky because of the ride (lol)...purely anecdotal but it was his opinion of owning the boat and fishing it offshore in SC.

The galvanized versus aluminum trailer could also factor here a tad. Which trailer is in better shape?

My opinion for what it is worth is the 228 simply because I own it and like it and prefer the layout over the 226.

Good luck.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Does the SV2 hull and smoother ride with the full transom on the 1993 228 trump the older notched transom 226 with a newer four stroke?

In as few words as possible, yes! I have an older 225G, full transom, not SV2. I'd never go back to a notched transom, ever. Having ridden in several SV2 of the same style, that's where I'll go should I upgrade. The ride difference isn't go cart - cadillac, but there is a difference when you hit the chop. Power can be replaced, the hull is all it will ever be when you buy it. Use the older 2-stroke for bargaining leverage ... :wink:

GulfSea

Reaction score
Not considering power, I would probably go with the 228. But I own a 228 and may be biased in that opinion. The primary reason is simply having a full transom when drift fishing and 3-4 footers take turns at the stern. That and there's quite a bit of additional room; the other side of the coin is the 228 with bracket and pulpit requires much more storage room. There's previous post where a very good comparison is written between the 2 with the 226 coming out ahead in maneuverability and handling. I can attest to the ride of the SV2 in that many times, I've crested waves expecting a slam only to meet a very soft landing. And since I've finally figured out how to correctly use trim tabs, a good 1-2' chop is easily smoothed out.

But I've always been a long time purchase type meaning, I too would go for the hull so if power were eventually changed, I would have the boat I wanted.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would go with the SV2 hull. As you can see from my sig, I've owned both types of hulls. The SV2 is a big improvement. The ride is very dry and the hulls doesn't pound like the older design.

The importance of the enclosed transom on the 228 is over rated. The layout is more functional, but the 226 actually rides better in bad seas than the 228. It will stay on plane at lower speeds. The splash well has a gate that stops water from coming into the cockpit if you do something like chop the throttle suddenly with a following sea.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd take the 228 just for the layout. I owned one with an OX66 and thought it was a great pairing. Though I loved the layout, someone once posted that there is absolutely no difference in deck space between the 226 and 228, and I ended up confirming they were correct.