Seafarer rod holder replacements

dwain

Reaction score
Website
www.bodkinrealty.com
I have a 2003 Seafarer and the rod holders (aft) on the fish box are in need of replacement. I do not want the pure white holders but would prefer the original colour (off white). Does anyone know where I can purchase 4 of these tubes? Thanks. Dwain

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I replaced mine with the generic white tubes from a marine store. They do tend to blend in OK - the off-white color had faded on mine anyway.

I would like to have an aluminum rod holder custom made to replace the cheesy plastic holders at some point in the future. They're not very usuable in my opinion except for small inshore rods.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
You could replace with aluminum or SS ones. Call Grady and maybe they could point you in the right direction. Also, I thought they were installed there because the offer a smart choice for placing a rod when baiting live bait or for general travel with spinning gear.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What I have in mind is something like this:

94537391.jpg

I would like to not only use them for holding rods on the way in & out but also adding another line in my spread using a center rigger.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Strike, would that style unit be strong enough to hold a rod while trolling and the additional strain of a strike? My first reaction to the design was it would be marginal even if you had a good sized plate behind the fiberglass.

Gary 89 Overnighter

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't think that would be a problem. It would be mounted on the livewell with the screws going in aft. A backing plate should keep it from cracking.

Any other opinions out there?

richie rich

Reaction score
The backing plate will be the key to keeping it strong and not flexing or cracking your glass/gelcoat.....Maybe even a full width plate to spread the load if you have room.

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
You should be ok with a good backing plate. The glass is thin right there as it is not designed as a stress point. Also realize that installing the new rod holder with backing plates is a fairly difficult job. For access you will need to:
Remove the lid from the livewell
Cut the sealant along the top edge
Reach in from the port or stbd battery compartment and disconnect the water supply and the overflow. It may be easier to remove the hose from the pump and leave the hose connected to the livewell, the plastic barbed fittings on the livewell are prone to breaking if you torque on them and the hose is a pia to remove.
Check for leaks in the whole sytem before resealing the livewell. People sink their boats every year due to a problem somewhere in the livewell and associated plumbing.
Find a small guy with long arms and you'll be set!