Seafarer value

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Regretfully my brother-in-law (sisters husband) passed away several months ago, and I'm assisting her in liquidating some of his belongings she no longer needs. Among these is a 1998 Seafarer 226. Hopefully I can tell you some about it, and get some opinions on a fair selling price.

Boat has always, except for last year, been inside rack stored. This past year it has been in locked storage with full cover. Hull, cabin, deck, cushions, etc., all show like new. Never any bottom paint, and gelcoat shines. Boat has approximately 200-250 hours of use. No stresscracks, etc. Boat also had a new Yamaha F250 installed last year, and currently has around 40-50 hours. It has stainless prop, hydraulic steering, and all controls. I'm pretty sure it is still under warranty, but I have to find out. Bimini top, full enclosure, outside boat cushions all extremely clean, like new. It has a new Northstar M84 GPS/Finder unit, and I don't recall make of VHF radio. It is on an '05/06 Loadrite roller trailer, that's in nice shape. Boat has trimtabs, full cover, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other things, but that is basically what it is.

I would appreciate any knowlegeable opinions on what would be a good selling price for this boat, and where, other than here, would be a good place to list it. Thank you.
Mike

DSC01694.jpg

GulfSea

Reaction score
Interesting, lots of folks are looking but no one is saying anything? That is a desirable boat and the power is perfect. The negative would be not having a hard top which could be added by someone interested enough. It may be worth contacting a few brokers to get opinions.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Go on the boatus site they offer a free boat valuation. This could at least get you close.

Bill_N

Reaction score
Saw this last week....

If I was looking at the boat the first thing I'd ask is what happened to the original engine after 150-200 hrs? Are you sure about the hours? 15-20 per year for 11 years and then 50 hrs on a new engine. Doesn't add up if you ask me.

You need to dig up all the info on the boat engine and trailer and get the story straight. Best guess from what I see is 27k

Good Luck..

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bill_N said:
Saw this last week....

If I was looking at the boat the first thing I'd ask is what happened to the original engine after 150-200 hrs? Are you sure about the hours? 15-20 per year for 11 years and then 50 hrs on a new engine. Doesn't add up if you ask me.

You need to dig up all the info on the boat engine and trailer and get the story straight. Best guess from what I see is 27k

Good Luck..

Bill, thats a legitimate question. I should have explained that. Here's the complete history of this boat. Original owners were a wealthy couple from Maryland that had a large vessel and bought this boat to have at their Palm Beach, Fl place. Boat was stored in marinas inside rack and boat was used very little. While in inside storage at marina the outboard was stolen off of it. Couple decided to sell boat without repower and my brother-in-law came across ad and purchased it. Marina selling boat for original owners was also an authorized Yamaha dealer, so my brother-in-law purchased and had them install new Yamaha 4 stroke F250 engine. Thia was on 05/06/09. Since that time boat has only accumulated 40-50 hours of use. This is because my sister and brother-in-law's primary residence was in Va. and boat was stored by their vacation residence.

Harley349

Reaction score
There are quite a few Seafarer 226 boats for sale right now, I looked at a lot of them and wound up buying a boat in Wisconsin since I wanted a fresh water boat for use in the Great Lakes. I bought the boat 3 months ago so it is a current purchase.
This boat was a 2004, and had the following: 250 yamaha 4s, a 9.9 yamaha 4s kicker, 4 electric downriggers, radar, auto pilot, chart plotter, hard top, full canvas enclosure, panther lift on the 9.9, moot sensors on the downriggers, and lots of other typical features, and trailer. The main motor had 600 hours. This boat was super clean, very well maintained and graded out very well in the survey.
I paid $46,000 for it which was bit below the asking prices for similar salt water boats, I felt the fresh water history was a plus and the other boats did not have the electronics or kicker and fishing equipment . Given the differences in features with the boat I purchased and this boat, I think it would bring more than $30,000 if you find the right buyer.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Harley349 said:
There are quite a few Seafarer 226 boats for sale right now, I looked at a lot of them and wound up buying a boat in Wisconsin since I wanted a fresh water boat for use in the Great Lakes. I bought the boat 3 months ago so it is a current purchase.
This boat was a 2004, and had the following: 250 yamaha 4s, a 9.9 yamaha 4s kicker, 4 electric downriggers, radar, auto pilot, chart plotter, hard top, full canvas enclosure, panther lift on the 9.9, moot sensors on the downriggers, and lots of other typical features, and trailer. The main motor had 600 hours. This boat was super clean, very well maintained and graded out very well in the survey.
I paid $46,000 for it which was bit below the asking prices for similar salt water boats, I felt the fresh water history was a plus and the other boats did not have the electronics or kicker and fishing equipment . Given the differences in features with the boat I purchased and this boat, I think it would bring more than $30,000 if you find the right buyer.

Thanks for the reply Harley. Thats some good information. Mike