Sealant for floor fuel tank access hatch?

Bryan3536

Reaction score
Per another thread I posted today, we popped our sagging floor hatch over the weekend to get a replacement fabricated. It had been sealed in place really, really well, with an unidentifiable clear caulking. For all I know, it could have been factory. Anyway, when we get the replacement hatch back (and have cleaned out the tank compartment, etc.), should we be re-sealing the hatch? If so, does anyone have a recommendation as to the specific caulk/sealant to use for this?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
My dealer uses the GE Silicone sealant (tan color) FWIW.

tx

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
GE Silicone II Kitchen and Bath, Almond color (contains a biocide) .. :wink:

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
use boatlife clear silicone, not the home depot stuff GE, ect for your house it will yellow....... trust me it happened in one season.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
up to you, but GE silicone II (almond) is recommended. the actual oem is GE series 1600 (or 1700) but gw said the retail version will do just fine. ron

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
Also I've heard it is good to bury some monofilament in the seal. When you need to break the seal, simply expose the mono and pull it to cut the silicone. I'm too lazy to do it myself, but others swear by it.

lastresort

Reaction score
If the hatch is going to stay permanantly, I would recommend using 3m 5200 or 4200 if you are going to remove occasionally.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
:uhm Anyone who puts 5200 on a fuel tank access panel that is screwed down has a fool for a mechanic! And since the seal is just that, a seal, an adhesive/sealant like 4200 makes little sense, either. Sorry, 5200/4200 is good stuff and has it's place, but access hatches not requiring an adhesive isn't one of 'em (in my opinion) ...