Seastar hydraulic steering

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
"Rebuilding" the helm is very easy. You are just replacing o-rings and a gasket. On Amazon you can get the same spec fluid as seastar. A gallon is around $40.

You can bleed the system by yourself. Google bubble purge and make your own.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So...good news ..bad news.
Got the Seastar HS5176 Helm Seal Kit & Seastar HA5438 Filler Tube & Seal Pick Tool....very nice kit includes a tool for removing o-rings and includes a filler hose kit which would be $20 on its own
e9KFCfJt.jpg

Had a hard time removing the steering wheel. Could not get a puller behind it. had to cut the plastic bezel.
v6x1mxzt.jpg
S5IPor0t.jpg
cP8GdKst.jpg

Got the wheel off. No corrosion. The PO used black tape on the shaft and it was caught on the woodruff key.
Removing the helm went great. It was leaking from the front shaft seal
tA0y2Oft.jpg

Disassembly went great. Looked great inside although fluid looked like crap. Replaced all o-rings easy peasy.
Pistons looked great. Slide valve looked great. Bearings looked great.
XiXxUKpm.jpg
lmHN7pvm.jpg
tSNKn15m.jpg

yc4EUjxm.jpg
E7Lwo2im.jpg
QjJYnhtm.jpg

55Skl1em.jpg
Fi5D5S5m.jpg

As I was putting it back together there is a step where you have to compress the pistons and get it all together without things falling out of place.

here's the bad news...
SErbehFt.jpg
KzgpUH5t.jpg

It slipped in my hand and I pushed down hard...2 pistons got jammed in the rotor. Made one worse trying to get it out.
There is no fixing without destroying the 2 pistons and replacing them.
I don't have the time or patience for that so off to West Marine I went. Got $680 price match for a new Classic Tilt 1.7 helm.
I have bagged & boxed the old 1.7 tilt helm. I will try to get something for it on eBay. If anyone is interested let me know.
It includes the older Traditional Tilt mechanism (except the plastic bezel needs replacing $60 new) and all of the parts, springs, balls. new o-rings are in place..
Its at least worth a $100 core fee for a rebuilt helm with a bonus of getting the tilt mechanism.
Here are some pix below. I will package it up and weigh it for shipping.
7ooAIinm.jpg
VVEZgvMm.jpg

XcuiJiYl.jpg

SPKBfNdl.jpg