Seeking help on first Grady Purchase

Sithog

Reaction score
After years of deliberation over a boat for my family, I've decided on a Grady Tournament 225. But, unlike purchasing a car, where there is so much information on the internet about prices, I don't know where to begin in dealing with a Boat Dealer. I don't want to get 'taken', so any advise on pricing, what upgrades I should be looking for, or really anything that someone has learned and wished they had know before buying is greatly appreciated. I really like the idea of a hard top, factory installed, but beyond that I don't know what else I 'need' to be looking for.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. There are some 225 owners here who can answer specifics. It is a great family boat. My first was a 228G which is built on the same hull. I don't believe that model has a hardtop option but there is a canvas "vista" top which would be very nice to have. A livewell is a must IF you plan to do live bait fishing. Get cockpit bolsters. A head is good for a family. A swim platform is very useful if you plan to do outings where you will anchor and the family may go swimming. I personally like the deluxe helm chairs. Your dealer will likely order the boat with the most popular options.

As for price, I would expect at least 15% off MSRP given the current market. If you find a leftover from a previous model year you should get much more discount since the boat is a year old. Good luck!

Covecutter

Reaction score
If I was looking for a 22 ft boat, and wanted a hard top, I would go with the 228G with a hardtop and full curtains, makes the boat feel like a much larger boat and gives you more storage and something for your crew to hold on to in rough seas as well as place for rocket launchers, antennas, etc. The Grady bracket also gives you the feel of a bigger boat and handles better. I also like the full swim platform To put a hardtop on an open boat like a Tournament makes you look like you are trying to make a cabin boat out of an open duel console boat. To me, hard tops on open boats just look wrong..

I have a 91 Tournament 190 and love the boat. My son can't stand it when I put the bimini top up.

I think the 225 is the same hull as the 228. I recently sold a 98 228G with 225 Yamaha 2 stoke for $29,000.00 The new captain got a great buy and a great boat. That Sea V hull cuts the water like butter....

If you plan on trailering the boat and don't have a lot of experience pulling a trailer, I would not recommend a 22 foot boat to haul around. Before buying a boat that size, you need to hook it up and tow it around the block to see how you like towing that much mass...

Sithog

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick responses, I really appreciate the input. My next issue is to establish what the real MSRP is for a boat with options, then make an offer. Again, thanks for the input!

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
I agree with you that the 225 is a wonderful all around family boat. As soon as I can sell my 2002 Whaler I intend to get one. However there is not a factory hardtop offered on the 225. You have to go up to the 275 for that. Over the last few months I have done a lot of shopping and pricing research. I have found that there seems to be somewhere between 30-40% mark up from the dealers' cost. Whaler had 33% when I bought my '02. Always remember that the dealer has to make a profit and we don't buy boats that often, but the dealer doesn't have to make it all on you. I am also of the opinion that the local dealer is usually worth more than any one else. Hopefully the local dealer will be the one taking care of your needs after the sale and that is worth a lot. Having said that, with Grady White a local dealer isn't always available. My closest one is over 300 miles away. The current economy seems to be slowing and boats are definitely a "postponeable" purchase, so take your time. Often during the boat show season this winter both boat and engine manufacturers will offer incentives in the form of cash or extended warranties. Also remember that if a boat has been in a dealer's inventory too long, the dealer may have had to start paying the boat off to the floor plan bank and have a greater incentive to move it. On the other hand, if you order the boat from the factory the dealer will have no floor plan expense since you will pay for it as soon as it arrives. I guess what I'm really saying is that you have to analyze your particular situation and the dealer's and negotiate something that's fair to both of you. It has to be win/win for both of you. Good luck and have fun. You've picked a great boat!

Stonewall

Reaction score
Do a search on Grady White Clubs in your area. I know they are in Vero Beach, Ft. Myers, Tampa, Miami, etc. Contact a few members and they will be more likely to provide you with the local knowledge.

Sithog

Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies!! I'm still searching. It seems with Grady's you can get a late model used boat that is still in great shape. I believe that it's my best bet.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
New Tournament 225

First off good choice selecting a DC, if you want to do a family trip one day and fish the next and have no interest in overnighting this is the best option out there. I have had a Pursuit 2150 DC for 12 years and just upgraded to a Tournament 275. As such I just went through the same effort as you are going through. Finding Grady pricing is very difficult to do. There was a dealer in Fl that was giving up his Grady dealership, was dumping boats and advertising pricing. I will take a look to see if I can find the dealer tomorrow if I can I will email you the URL. As for discount it depends on the market you're in. In my area (North Shore of Boston) my dealer had little appetite to deal beyond his normal discount. In the end I wound up with a little more than 14% off retail which included show discounts. Watch you dealer prep numbers and question the dealer hard on what they are going to do for this money and get it in writing don't hesitate to say I don't see the value in your number and push for more or for discounts off it.

As for options, go with the Vista top that way you can take it off when you don't want it. In my case that is 80% of the time, it gets in the way fly fishing. A head is a must, salt water wash down is nice and a fresh water wash down makes the wife and kids happy. I am not a big fan of the bow canvas or aft curtain. Nice concept on the bow cover but in reality it's a PITA to deal with if you use your boat more than once a week. Had the aft curtain with my Pursuit DC and never used it. Judging from the 225's in my marina I assume that the 250 Yamaha is the power package of choice. It's a good engine with a solid history and it has variable rate valve timing which is a plus the 225 HP Yamaha does not have this. Ask your dealer to explain if he can't have them put you in touch with the Yamaha rep.

My best advice to you is to get what you want on the boat. Unless you are rolling in $$$ you may only do this a few times in your life so do it right. There is nothing worse than to realize that you should have bought an option after the deal is done. If you would like I can get the buy price from my dealer on a 225 he has in stock, email me if you want the number and good luck.

Sithog

Reaction score
Great Advice

Excellent Advice, Tashmoo....FYI the boat I had my heart set on was the Tournament 275. I'd love to hear about your experience so far. The 275 looks like a great boat. Once I got in tune with the pricing of the 275, I had to dial back a little bit. Go ahead and throw up a picture if you have one. Also, noticed your listed occupation is - engineer. Me too. What discipline?

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Tournament 275

Go to the second page of the general discussion forum and look for the posting "Tournament 275 w/Yamaha F350 Sea Trial" it is about the third one down. This is my report on the sea trail for the 275 complete with photos thanks to a member that posted them for me. I have a ton of experience with dual consoles so don't hesitate to ask questions. My old boat is on www.baertmarine.com it is the 2150 DC Pursuit. An ABSOLUTLY FANTASTIC boat.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I forgot to answer your question I am an ME with a specialty in thermo-fluids & heat transfer, Northeastern University 1982.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
The dealer in FL that Tashmoo is referring too is CrewsNII Outboards. They were the dealer in Jacksonville, FL that gave up the GW franchise. Unfortunately they do not have either a 225 or a 275 for sale but you can get a feel for mark ups based on their remaining inventory. Grady has replaced them with another dealer who has multiple locations elsewhere. Theirs is the only website I have ever found with heavily discounted prices posted. Frankly I don't understand why GW didn't buy their inventory back to prevent this from happening. Give it a look and good luck on your research. The web site is www.crewsn2outboard.com

Fishtales

Reaction score
The MSRP advertised is $240,183 on the 07 Marlin. Not sure what MSRP includes. Are freight and prep included - I sure hope so.

It is selling at a 29.3% discount - appears to be a very good deal. It does not list ac as an option, but I would assume it is installed for FLA.

Mine is a year earlier and in addition to the equipment on board this boat (assuming it has ac like mine) mine has power steering, helm cover, and sat radio options for a MSRP of $220,865. If I back out these options, leaving ac in ($3615), it comes to $217,250 for the same boat a year earlier. If I add prep (full tank of fuel) and freight in on my boat it came in just under $229K.

It appears to me that a jump of $23K (10.6%) or for the same boat in one year is a lot to add on the MSRP (without freight and prep)., With
freight and prep added it would be an increase of $15K (6.7%) increase which seems more reasonable.

The prices here give a good low water mark for people to consider when buying like models. You know they are not selling at cost, so the dealer mark up must be well north of 30%.