Sharing...

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So, when I was in the Navy...I think one of my best memories was Palermo, Sicily. I remember going to this little ...eh...WE might call it a 'piano bar'... but, cannot remember if it had a piano.. lol.

So, I know.. shock.. I was a bit 'gruff' back then, so did not hang out with a lot of people.. yes.. "say it is not so, Russ!..".. no... it's true....

Anyway, I would take train rides or just start walking...till I found a place I liked. Generally, it was 'off the beaten path', i.e. I tended to just go where there were no tourists.

One time (squirrel!)...I figured the entire towns were built based upon ice cream. It's true!. I would stop at a store, buy an ice cream, start eating, start walking. When I finished the ice cream, I would look left and right and there would be another store with ice cream! I spent an afternoon, and a few Tums, figuring that one out...

Anyway, back to the 'piano bar'. I went into this place. Now, you have to picture this. Along the beaches, the old fishermen had pulled their boats in for the day. Some were spread out on the beaches mending their nets, tending to whatever their boats needed. The older captains were enjoying the stories of the fish that got.. er.. they caught and released. They mostly stood at the bar, the way Americans do when ordering a beer. There were a few scattered at a few scant tables throughout the shop, but mostly those were reserved for the older captains that had left the boats and the fish to younger, if you can call 50's younger in their shape and profession, and they were mostly arguing over ...well, anything they could decide to argue over as that is the pastime for old men with even older tales.

So, here comes this American, clean cut, grinning from ear to ear as if I had found an entire harem alone with no-one to protect them. I stood at the bar. I could not speak a lick of .. well, I guess Scicilian...? Italian?... Mobsteresque? heh... and I watched them sit there with these tiny cups of what appeared to be coffee. Now, mind you.. I had only learned how to shave in bootcamp a few months before. My parents bought me an electric razor... in the early 80's that was like having a butler..

So, I watched and smiled and ordered a "drink".. pointing at what they were having.

They laughed, rubbed my head.. (no, this was not actually a harem... blonde hair is good luck over there and they would run the head of a blonde haired kid all the time... took getting used to heh.

I sat there, after they brought me the coffee (I like to think of it as rocket fuel...)...and I grabbed a small spoon and began shoveling sugar into it.. scoop...scoop...scoop.. over and over, just as they did, all the while the old men and their sun-worn-leathery faces laughing, gathering around me and clapping me on the back and smiling as if they found someone to buy the 400 yr old boat they had patched with bubble gum.

I drank that cup... was amazing. Did not take long.. it was a very small cup and they are not boiling hot like Americans like. It was so good... I had two more, which had them all rolling laughing by the third.

It did not hit me till I got back to the ship. My Chief would not allow me to go to morning Muster, 6 hours later....because I would not shut up... I would not.. no, I could not stand still. Instead, I cleaned the engine room till it shined. That was a 44yr old ship, but you would have thought it was brand new because they got more cleaning and work out of me that day than they had seen in the previous year.

I never went back to that place. I think my Chief, while he liked the work, deemed it a hazard to my career and health as I did not need an excuse to say something while fueled with rocket fuel... heh

So, the point is... I just got a new espresso machine. I make them larger and use fake sugar... for my health... and marriage.. lol.. but, sharing it with you all. Have a great day, and even better weekend.

I am going to Home Depot to grab some small parts to finish re-wiring my trailer and such.

Russ

Attachments

• IMG_3683.jpg
    IMG_3683.jpg
    653.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Joe

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Great story Russ! I got a chuckle out of your electric razor comment. You have me beat by just a couple years, but I remember those well (never did like using them).
Thanks for sharing...

Reactions: RussGW270

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This brings back memories to my espresso machine that I left back in storage in Spain. I use a nespresso now for my daily Cortados as I can’t see paying so much for a real one. In Spain, the whole aisle was filled with them from 30eu to a few hundred to have a commercial one.

Try putting some whisky/ brandy in it after a nice holiday meal or celebration...

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Cool story!

I have a Nespresso machine after some Seattle friends told that's what I am missing in my life. Of course was ordering the top 2 or 3 strongest capsules o_O for maximum effect. Got to be SO expensive for those suckers, I now empty a packet of Starbucks Via instant coffee (also strongest one ) in hot water and Bob's ur Uncle.

Learned about the Via packets from Scouts high adventure camping. When we couldn't make cowboy coffee, that was plan B.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I debated a Nespresso or Keurig. I opted for ease of use, but lower cost. They key is not having to keep filling the water every single shot. Also, not using the built in frother. That always gets destroyed and uses a heck of a lot of water.

I got a De'Longhi ECP3220R and a large frother. I like regular ol coffee, but I tend to get up at 4-5am and my wife will sleep for an hour or two later. I got tired of not having a cup off coffee because I did not want to "tend" it for the next 2-4 hours heh. So, this way.. takes me about 3-4 minutes and I get my coffee... and on about my day ;)

R

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
LOL I did not expect that ending to your post. How is this a thread about coffee machines?!?

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Eh... I was drinking coffee.. enjoying the morning, and figured to share it with the Grady folks.. heh. It was a beautiful morning, regardless of whether I was on the water or not.. and it brought back a memory of some other boaters, so.. shared with the only boaters I know. Nothing more.. heh

Sometimes, it happens.. a non-boat topic.. heh

R

Reactions: mr_mbuna

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
It was just a very poetic introduction, that's all. Thanks for sharing Russ!