Shark Fishing Gear??

DividedSky

Reaction score
Website
www.rageagainsttheright.com
Hi everyone -

For the past 6 years or so, we've used our Grady to chase the bluefish, cod, stripers, etc around, but we'd like to really switch gears and get into the shark (perhaps tuna) fishing game.

We have some good gear, but mostly for the 10 - 20 lb fish near the coast, or cod jigging gear 20 miles out.

Could someone recommend the full package...from start to finish, in terms of what we'd need for shark fishing this summer? We already have a pretty good bait caster but we're probably going ot need an upgrade.

Picture yourself walking into a tackle store with no shark fishing gear...what would you purchase, from reels to poles to chum... and what are we looking at for cost?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

TunaT

Reaction score
shark fishing

well can you help us out some, then we might be able to fine tune your decisions some...First of all, what kind of Sharks are targeting? Dustys, Sandbars, Black tip? or is it the Mako class (basically, Inshore vs off shore).
For a sample of what I mean, inshore I use heavy spinners and small size reels like Penn senator 112's...great action and loads of fun on the light stuff, with line 20-30 lb class...note Steel leaders are a must (I like 49 strand cable, nice flex, no kinks). Now, for the Off shore side, I pump up to minimum of penn senator 114H's, while most of gear is on internationals and 15kg's, even a couple of big shimanos...line is typically 50 lb or 80lb test with at least 500 yds capacity. you will need tail ropers, multiple gaffs, etc...all leaders are 49 strand cable 270lb and heavier...best part of this is the same gear for off shore sharking works on tuna. (except leaders use flourcarbon)Something to also consider, 50 lb tackle is great on standup gear, but 80 will break your back, so if you don't have a fighting chair or like fighting fish from rod holder stick with 50lb tackle...2 speed reels are great, but when I think about it, I really have never used the 2 speed option that much not worth the extra $$$..Good luck on your buying decisions

DividedSky

Reaction score
Website
www.rageagainsttheright.com
Hey TunaT thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Basically we’re looking to go off shore so we can grab some cod while we’re out as well. I live in Maine, so up in the area you run into a lot of blue sharks, a mako once in a while, some football tuna, etc.

I’d like to get the kind of gear needed so both shark fishing and tuna can be accomplished with the same equipment. We don’t have any type of fishing chair per se on the boat, so 50lb gear or less would be ideal.

In addition, what are your thoughts on grabbing the hook from sharks once up to the boat? Does it all depend on the species or even more specifically, how tired the shark is when reeled in?

Again, I’m a total novice to shark fishing so excuse the greenhorn questions.

TunaT

Reaction score
shark fishing

First of all, I'm a fan of keeping all my digits...only time I remove a hook from a Mako, tiger, hammerhead...will be when it tail roped and pulled backwards for several miles. Blue whalers are not that bad, we use a broom handle with a hook puller on the end and can usually pop them out...but some of the larger blue sharks, well they can keep the hook also. Hooks are cheap, replacement fingers and hands are not. I think you understand where I am coming from with this...Safety is the top priority for you and the shark...ever seen a boat after a shark tried to eat it? well it will happen, they will chew on your lower units, eat gelcoat and about anything they think will get them free. My suggestion for you is to start small work yourself up the ladder so to speak. Work the inshore class first, get used to handling and dealing with 3-5 fters first before you get invovled with mr.Mako. here is something to keep in mind you will need at least 3 people on board to handle a good size shark...one to drive the boat, second to fight the fish and 3rd is the wire man...why is no 1 someone to drive the boat, well Makos like to jump and they have been known to jump into a boat as will thrashers and a few others. Remember, what I said about eating a boat...try a green mako that has control of your boat...won't be much left, everything goes. Lets start small and work up to build your experience and expertise, you will need 30 to 50 lb class gear, I like Penn, but any manufactures will do also long as its good quality (shimano, accurate,avet,duel, daiwa, etc). I also like poles with Fuji guides or all rollers. The length is up to you but I like 5'6" poles but I'm over 6' thus I have an issue reaching over or around things. Lots, different types of string to pick from your choice...big one big comment get the best tackle you can afford, if you cut corners and/or try to save money here its going to hurt you in the long run...I would suggest less tackle to start with as long as it top quality vs more of a less standard, depending on your budget. Make sure all your leaders for Sharking are 49 strand wire and you will be fine. For Tuna fishing, I recommend cedar plugs as a good start along with a green machine or two...something straight running is best...best of luck and catch'em up, hope this helps

Kevcros

Reaction score
I shark fished Maine several times last year and came accross numerous blue sharks but no Mako's..I would reccommend a few Shimano 30 WLRS (although expensive- they will last a lifetime). They will be handle a majority of the sharks you will encounter except the large mako's would give them a work-out. For the school tuna down Boon island way, I suggest a Penn 9500 casting reel with a stout casting rod...You can troll the normal cedar, green machines and squids (on your WLRS reels) and be rigged to cast at them if they appear on the surface. I would lean to the 6' rods (better around outboards) for the Tiagras- don't think rollers are necessary for your purpose.

downtown

Reaction score
hey tuna t, just bought a marlin 28 with fighting chair and outriggers. i'm staying pretty close to shore, since this is my first year in montauk. will i have any use for the fighting chair. would like to target some smaller tuna and, of course, cow stripers.

Capt Brian

Reaction score
Website
shorepointembroidery.com
Check out some of the reels by Avet. I have been using both their small reels (Sx to 4/0 EXW) and have been happy with their performance. For sharking you should look at the 4/0 EXW or to Pro Ex 50. I would mount them on a set up Crowder Rods. Just starting using the crowders last season and really like them. I hope this helps.