shipping boat options

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Okay guys, I am planning on going to the keys for a month in mid Jan. I am looking for suggestions on how to ship the boat down and back. Panama City Beach to Islamorada and return. I originally was looking into buying a F350 but the prices scared me off. I have a Marlin 300. I also have a 3 axel trailer that I take the boat out of the water to do lower unit engine maintenance, but have a friend with a big truck to pull it out with. Suggestions?

westar

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
Try uship.com. I have a buddy that has shipped his 263 Chase from Sarasota to islamorada the past two years. He used uship the first year and this year just contacted the guy from year 1 directly. He has used "superbob"". He is always on time and professional. I can probably find his contact details if you would like them.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
It looks like a nice overnight run each way, so is the cost of shipping all that much less than the fuel burn each way?

Plus the hassle of hauling it out, and is your trailer ready for long-distance work?

Just wondering..

Brian

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would like the info on superbob. And yes, I do have a trailer and it is in superb condition.

westar

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
Here is his uship details. I was looking at purchasing a 282 sailfish in May that was in the panhandle. To ship it to Sarasota it was going to be $900. I figured fuel burn would have been a little more. I think my buddy paid about $700 to ship from Sarasota to Islamorada. Superbob is based out of St. Pete, so to ship it from your location to the keys, I bet you end up at about $1600 - $1900 each way. Just a guess....

http://www.uship.com/profile/superbob01/

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well you were correct $2000 each way, rethinking the plan now. Attempting to talk CINC/Wife into making a voyage out of the trip down and back.

westar

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
Yeah, it's not cheap! I bet it would be a pretty cool trip to drive the boat down. It would probably take you 2-3 days to get down depending on how much you push it. You could probably hit just North of Tampa in day 1, then down to Naples/Marco Island in Day 2, and day 3 make it to the keys. It's a haul but would be really cool.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Day 1 - PCB to Tarpon Springs
Day 2 - Tarpon Springs to Ft Myers
Day 3 - Ft Myers to the Keys

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I did the trip from Tampa to the Keys. Stopped in Ft Meyers day 1 and hit Marathon day 2. Tampa to Marathon could be made in one long day. Its about 225 miles statute as I recall. I had the kids and the dog so we broke the trip up. I have a 2005 Marlin 300. Not much to see once you get past Marco Island. Watch out for floating semi submerged trees -ask me how I know! LOL

tbaxl

Reaction score
rent a penske, or someone like them box truck. if you ask for one with a hitch the can usually find one. rent one way turn in and rent again on the return. i promise it will not be the best ride for the missus but it will get the job done very well. as a last resort, i am just up the road and would not mind making the run down with you.