should bottom painting include bottom of engine?

Barrettkatz

Reaction score
OK
I accept that, if I keep my previously pristine unpainted 209 in the salt water of eastern LI, I need to paint the bottom.
The folks doing this for me are suggesting I also paint the bottom portions of the engine - does this make sense? Not so intuitively obvious to me....
Thx
B

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
yes, if any part of the brackets or lu remains in the water (some boats have the brackets and engines high enough that nothing is in the water - i actually saw one mounted so high that the anode under the bracket wasn't even in the water!). i have mine done every year. i still have to scrub them up during the season, but the growth slips off easier. ron

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A word of caution- don't paint the engine parts- bracket/lower unit- with copper bottom paint. The aluminum will be corroded by the copper. Use Tri lux or other A/F paints specifically intended for aluminum.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
max366 said:
A word of caution- don't paint the engine parts- bracket/lower unit- with copper bottom paint. The aluminum will be corroded by the copper. Use Tri lux or other A/F paints specifically intended for aluminum.

yes. and it costs more; so the temptation would be to use the less expensive stuff. if you are having it done, make sure you ask the yard exactly what they are using as max indicated. ron

seasick

Reaction score
Agreed.
From my experience, the Trilux clear anti-fouling spray just doesn't at all. 2 coats 3 coats it doesn't matter. I get barnacles every season. To bbot the spray is 30 bucks a can! A total rip

ahill

Reaction score
Mine are painted as follows:
Sand well
All products are Pettit
Treat with 6455 metal primer, follow directions
Treat with Qtie
Paint with 1028 Pro Ultima
Has lasted me nearly 3 years in S FL but its now time to redo.

Maritime Matt

Reaction score
As mentioned above, DO NOT use Copper based bottom paints on Aluminum. In the yard, we use Interlux Tri-Lux 33. I brush it on, 2 coats. Your getting all pigment versus aerosol where its thinned to be able to spray. Spray is good for getting the areas the brush can't get.
Capt. Matt