Sick of Rusted Yamaha Oil Tank Trays??

Enough Already

Reaction score
(I posted this on THT but thought would share with the Grady crew as well) . . . .

Me too, so I took a different approach this time. Needed to do some oil pump work and discovered for the third time in 9 years, the 2-stroke oil tank hold-downs were badly rusted and one was completely snapped off at the top connection point. Last two times, I sucked it up, did the "right thing" for the boat and paid over $170 EACH for new holders, brackets, dampers, bolts, etc. Every time I used the boat, I would spray down in the bilge to rinse things off in hopes of keeping the rust out. Just didn't work. Had enough - no more metal for me. Took some 1/2 starboard and crafted new holders that should last the life of the boat.

4 main pieces - bottom, back side and 2 pieces to fit into indented sides of the oil tank - front side and vertical strip - similar to the metal bracket form. Pieces for indent were cut to size and then router rounded inside edges to exactly fit curved indents in the tank. Took a little trial and error & trimming to get an exact fit for the front side insert. The vertical strip was a piece of 3/4" starboard cut to height, routed over and chop-sawed off at the correct thickness.
IMGP3478.jpg

Assembled with pre-drilled and counter-sunk stainless screws, then routed a ridge around the outside edge as a track for hold-down strap (old battery tie-downs I had in the garage). Rounded off outside hard corners with a file where strap would ride.
IMGP3482.jpg

Final test-fit in the garage.
IMGP3481.jpg

Caulked old holes on mounting deck, drilled new pilot holes and caulked down some nylon washers to keep the new holder off the floor just a bit.
IMGP3484.jpg

Installed new holders in same locations with stainless countersunk screws.
IMGP3483.jpg

New tanks in and snugged down.
IMGP3485.jpg

IMGP3486.jpg

Old vs. New
IMGP3480.jpg

IMGP3479.jpg

Took her out for a hard test run and the tanks did not budge a millimeter. Only cost was a $70 sheet of 1/2" starboard, small scrap of 3/4" starboard, stainless screws, nylon washers, couple of old battery straps and some caulk.

I think the only thing to watch out for is to ensure you get a good tight fit with the tank indentations and also ensure that you have the room to cover the additional 1/2" height and width for the starboard where you install your tanks.

Here’s hoping the new ones outlast the boat - and no more $$ for metal trays!

seasick

Reaction score
Very nice!
Unfortunately, my boat has equipment mounted behind the tank and I don't think I have the extra room for the extra thickenss. That said, a similar base with a low lip and a sturdy stainless strap could work. So when my bracket finally falls apart, I may go thet route.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For what they charge, they should be stainless.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Nice Job! Now that you have a template, I bet folks here would be willing to pay you to make them for their boats.