Side Power Thruster Problems

gradynorm

Reaction score
Anybody encounter losing power to their bow thruster? Mine simply stopped working on the windiest day last year as would be expected. I checked the fuse as well as the red mushroom kill switch and both are fine. Seems there is 12V to the terminals so my hunch is the solenoids. Won't power in either direction and no clicking on the solenoids.

My other question is how hard is to remove the power head and replace the solenoids and are there any seals I need to worry about or does the head simply engage to a shaft that is sealed.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

tony-sally

Reaction score
call imtra marine in MASS. THEIR the dealer for side power thruster ask to talk with a rep they can walk you through the trouble shoting
and have the parts you need

Tony 33 grady express

gradynorm

Reaction score
Thanks Tony. I had read in the manual that they had a dealer/rep in New Bedford but I look on their web site and it is not there. Will have to call the company direct.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Did you push the red emergency buttom by chance? I did this when I got my boat to make sure it worked, then after releasing it the thruster did not work. I recall a specific procedure to get it working again.

I too had a problem this year (4th year with the boat). It was a worrisome problem as it happened under power. The thruster went on intermittently by itself when moving about 20 mi off shore. Then I smelled burning electronics and got worried. Disconnected the joy stick connector and hit the emergency button.
When I got back to the dock, it worked but intermittently. It ended up being the motor assembly, swapped out over the winter. Hopefully it is all set for spring.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Did you push the red emergency buttom by chance? I did this when I got my boat to make sure it worked, then after releasing it the thruster did not work. I recall a specific procedure to get it working again.

I too had a problem this year (4th year with the boat). It was a worrisome problem as it happened under power. The thruster went on intermittently by itself when moving about 20 mi off shore. Then I smelled burning electronics and got worried. Disconnected the joy stick connector and hit the emergency button.
When I got back to the dock, it worked but intermittently. It ended up being the motor assembly, swapped out over the winter. Hopefully it is all set for spring.

gradynorm

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the input. I did just come back from the Boston Boat sow and talked to a grady dealer as well as a guy who independently sells thrusters. Grady dealer input was limited and told me to call the shop tomorrow.

The guy who sells thrusters in Mystic, CT was very informative. He basically told me the sidepower units used by grady in the past are under designed and have excessive electronics to try and compensate rather than have a beefed up unit. Interesting since I now see Grady has shifted to lewmar from sidepower. was basically told to check the switch to assure the capacitors in the joystick work properly as well as how to pull the unit. Will have to try next weekend if I can get down to the boat.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I just went through all of this. Had a similar symptom where the thruster just quite working.
The Thruster dealer in New Bedford can e-mail you a 8 page PDF with pictures and instructions which help you diagnose exactly what the problem is (joystick, solenoid, etc.).

The good news is you can access and service the thing without hauling the boat. The bad news is, in my case and perhaps yours, the solenoid needed replacement and it's a $170 part. You'll need a 8mm allen wrench, a florescent drop lite and no fear of tight spaces! I removed and replaced it and it works as good as new. My application is a 2006 330 Express. Good luck.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I just went through all of this. Had a similar symptom where the thruster just quite working.
The Thruster dealer in New Bedford can e-mail you a 8 page PDF with pictures and instructions which help you diagnose exactly what the problem is (joystick, solenoid, etc.).

The good news is you can access and service the thing without hauling the boat. The bad news is, in my case and perhaps yours, the solenoid needed replacement and it's a $170 part. You'll need a 8mm allen wrench, a florescent drop lite and no fear of tight spaces! I removed and replaced it and it works as good as new. My application is a 2006 330 Express. Good luck.
I know this is an old thread but I’m having an issue with my 2006 330 side power bow thruster. Worked fine leaving dock in morning. It when we got back, there was a huge vibration when activating it. Looked in area where motor j located and there appeared to be oil or something in there. Cleaned it up but would like to troubleshoot. Can I remove the motor without hauling boat?

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Could it be simply a broken blade?

I’m not sure but will jump in the water today and see what I find. I was concerned about this oily substance in the motor area.

Attachments

• 67794EE2-CF20-415C-B28F-5A6FF89585C2.jpeg
    67794EE2-CF20-415C-B28F-5A6FF89585C2.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 29
  • D8325CCD-1C36-447B-A3C3-82852EBDD3D0.jpeg
    D8325CCD-1C36-447B-A3C3-82852EBDD3D0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
There is no oil in the electric motor. Only in the transmission/lower unit. Probably bad oil seal. If its leaking oil (and salt water) your going to have to pull the boat to repair the transmission. Not much point in pulling motor except to see seal leak.

Fishtales

Reaction score
im guessing blade fell off or you got something in it. you have to change the center zinc yearly or the blades are attacked.